1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone here made a real good case for getting this job done at 70K miles
instead of 90K which is what the VW maintenance schedule recommends
(if memory serves).

I asked around and got estimates between $400 and $1000.
One wanted to change the thermostat and its gasket at
the same time. as well as the hoses. Another said he might have to replace
the tensioner (part costs more than the water pump).

BTW, the VW dealership explained that there's a good reason
for using the OEM water pump with the nylon fins instead
of an aftermarket version with metal ones. In short, nylon
ones don't wreck the engine when they break. Just passing
that along.

How much have you good people paid to have this job done?
What else got replaced while they were at it? Thanks...

·
licibug
79 Posts
When I requested a quote for a Timing belt this is what they gave me. This quote is from the dealership. I have had the car worked on (while it was on warranty with another dealer) at a non VW place and they were less than competent. They costed less, yes, but they had to do one of the jobs twice. I think the dealership will be my prefered method from now on. In this case the quote was also lower at the dealership that is closest to me.

"Timing Belt/tensioner: Parts- toothbelt (2) $89.63 each/ Labor- 5hr at $95.00 an hour so a total of approx.$475.00."
Quoted from University VW, Seattle.

$900 was quoted from the unreliable place.

Not a tough decision for me anyway. I cannot respond to the waterpump question. (Proud to say that I changed one once in a Geo Storm! What a pain in the a**! Next time I will just pay someone to do it for me.)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Heres the kicker: metal impellars DO NOT just snap off in the engine block like the nylon ones do. Food for thought :)

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Hi,

I had a VW Dealer change my Water pump, Timing Belt, Tensioner and outside drive belt and a oil filter and they changed my oil, I used my own oil.

I just wanted to add my Water pump had started to come apart!

This cost me $559.39 I did this service at 62,628 miles on Oct 3rd, 2005.

John K

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
I haven't gotten mine done yet but the quote from the dealership was I think $600 for the timing belt and water pump. I just clocked over 60k so when I go back home this summer, I'll probably get it done cuz by then it will be about 62k or so.

As for the water pump, the dealership I go to wont install the water pump with metal impellars since they are aftermarket. So I don't have the option. I'll see how my water pump looks when it gets replaced to judge how often I go between the next change.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to buy the parts myself and save some money, but I haven't yet met a mechanic who goes along with that. Regarding your offer of $145 + $210 labor, I may just take you up on that!
I'll be in and around Trenton this June. Where in PA do you live?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kcfoxie said:
Heres the kicker: metal impellars DO NOT just snap off in the engine block like the nylon ones do. Food for thought :)
Yep, that was my first thought when I heard this 'explanation' for using nylon fins.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Where are you located? Are you the kander in AL?

If so, you could drive over to GA and we could do both cars the same day. I've got to get mine too. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd like to buy the parts myself and save some money, but I haven't yet met a mechanic who goes along with that. Regarding your offer of $145 + $210 labor, I may just take you up on that!
I'll be in and around Trenton this June. Where in PA do you live?
I'm in Sunbury PA About 2 1/2 hours west of the PA NJ border on I 80. Zip is 17801 if you want to check it on mapquest.:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had mine done by a local for $350
That is Timing belt water pump.. When driving it home i got a check engine light.
went bak checked the code and read Oxygen sensor.
restet went off. Came back on 45 miles later

then get this
I went today to Auto Zone today to see what coder reading they would get.
The Auto Zone guy got 3 codes Tell me what they are
P0725 Engine something Sensor
P1857 Malfunction Control Transmisson
P1850 Malfunction Control Transmisson

When I got back in the car to leave. I noticed for the first time
The car would not shift into my final running gear like it was not
shifting.

What all is that. This is driving me crazy.
It all started when I got belt and water pump changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts