NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow new beetle members, Is changing the timing belt/water pump/ pulley-damper tensioner a DIY project? are there any good threads with pictures for doing this job on a New beetle? I never done it and kinda skeptical about going into uncharted waters since I need the vehicle by a certain time/pressure to use it for going to work. Any help will be appreciated.

thanks folks

julian :)

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Its all gonna depend on your skill level.
If you have knowledge about this type of work and the right set of tools it can be done.
But if your not at that level, it is a job best left to a pro.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
timing belt

I was looking for a diy on the 1.8T which is a lot harder to do than the 2.0 from what I hear from other folks. Would help to know exactly what tools to have ready so i don't waste time searching for those while the job is half done, a 7 hour job could end up taking the whole weekend..LOL

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I was looking for a diy on the 1.8T which is a lot harder to do than the 2.0 from what I hear from other folks. Would help to know exactly what tools to have ready so i don't waste time searching for those while the job is half done, a 7 hour job could end up taking the whole weekend..LOL
former orger, Zeusenergy, posted a DIY on the vw vortex- that's his screenname there also. I used his diy to do my timing belt job on my car. it was a big help to me. I suggest looking it up on the vortex it should help you out a great deal.

Sent from my SGH-T 679 using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
diy in vortex

former orger, Zeusenergy, posted a DIY on the vw vortex- that's his screenname there also. I used his diy to do my timing belt job on my car. it was a big help to me. I suggest looking it up on the vortex it should help you out a great deal.

Sent from my SGH-T 679 using AutoGuide.Com Free
I'll go check it out and see if I can find it. thanks.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timing belt/water pump diy

Here is a PDF file that might help you out.

And here is the Link to the Ultimate 1.8 Timing Belt DIY on the Vortex:
VWVortex.com - Ultimate Timing Belt DIY!!

It's a GTI but the principle is the same. Same motor and the procedure should be the same on your beetle.
Hey thanks indy tom you are a LIFE SAVER my man. I'm starting to feel like I can do this. one question though; why can't you do both in marking the belt/pulley cranks with nail polish and also put it in TDC ? Did you do this job already indytom?

thanks julian

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hey thanks indy tom you are a LIFE SAVER my man. I'm starting to feel like I can do this. one question though; why can't you do both in marking the belt/pulley cranks with nail polish and also put it in TDC ? Did you do this job already indytom?

thanks julian
I don't see why you couldn't do both. No, I didn't do the timing belt yet. I will wait until spring to tackle this job. It's been about 70k miles since the last one so hopefully it will last another couple of thousand miles.
I wish you luck my friend. If I were closer I would come out there and help you with it. It would be a great learning experience for me as well.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
link

Hey sorry I didn't post the link... was replying via my android phone.
Looks like my good buddy Tom hooked you up though. Even so, in the spirit of good org etiquette, here's the link I was talking about CLICK HERE
thanks man I will check it out. I can use all the help I can get. My local mechanic quoted me $250 , but I want the experience of doing it myself. I always liked taking things apart..LOL I will let you'll know how it go's later.

Great diy by Zeusenergy, thanks.....

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hey sorry I didn't post the link... was replying via my android phone.
Looks like my good buddy Tom hooked you up though. Even so, in the spirit of good org etiquette, here's the link I was talking about CLICK HERE
WOW, I like that DIY. Come spring I know what I am going to do to my Beetle. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
WOW, I like that DIY. Come spring I know what I am going to do to my Beetle. :bigthumb:
yeah, that diy help me out a great deal too. I believe I still have a step by step diy PM from 1 of our fellow orgers, to coincide with the vortex diy... I believe I still have it- if I find it I'll post up on this thread also. .

EDIT:

Dug through my old PM's and found a basic rundown of the TB/Water Pump/Tensioner job, courtesy of orger The Cheat. It, along with the Vortex picture DIY was my coach as I did the job.

THE RUNDOWN...

right front in air
wheel off
belly pan/side skirts off
loosen pulley bolts
v-belt off
tensioner off
pulley off
drain coolant
bottle off once it's empty (have fun)
engine cover off
upper timing cover off
middle cover off
lower cover falls off
set time (21mm for the crank)
jack under the pan, just enough tension
pass side mount off
side bracket on engine off (need to move all the way up for frontmost bolt, down for other two)
check time
5 min break
check time
roller off
tensioner off
belt off
move bracket
drain pan under side
pump off
fish out the remnants

that's disassembly...it takes about 2 hours to do all that.

reassembly takes 3-4, but ONLY because that belt is soooo freaking tight.

a trick i learned is to not install the new pin tensioner until AFTER the belt is on.

to get the belt on, you'll have to place it on all the other sprockets except the cam. you'll then need to "bicycle chain" it on the cam gear, this part sucks. get calm beforehand, or else you'll pop a blood vessel.

budget the weekend, work slow, the 1.8t is a BITCH to keep in time on the cam, and if it goes out, you have to fight the belt all over again. the crank will stay if you don't bump it.

That's all the info I have. Hope this helps even more:)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
super thanks

yeah, that diy help me out a great deal too. I believe I still have a step by step diy PM from 1 of our fellow orgers, to coincide with the vortex diy... I believe I still have it- if I find it I'll post up on this thread also. .

EDIT:

Dug through my old PM's and found a basic rundown of the TB/Water Pump/Tensioner job, courtesy of orger The Cheat. It, along with the Vortex picture DIY was my coach as I did the job.

THE RUNDOWN...

right front in air
wheel off
belly pan/side skirts off
loosen pulley bolts
v-belt off
tensioner off
pulley off
drain coolant
bottle off once it's empty (have fun)
engine cover off
upper timing cover off
middle cover off
lower cover falls off
set time (21mm for the crank)
jack under the pan, just enough tension
pass side mount off
side bracket on engine off (need to move all the way up for frontmost bolt, down for other two)
check time
5 min break
check time
roller off
tensioner off
belt off
move bracket
drain pan under side
pump off
fish out the remnants

that's disassembly...it takes about 2 hours to do all that.

reassembly takes 3-4, but ONLY because that belt is soooo freaking tight.

a trick i learned is to not install the new pin tensioner until AFTER the belt is on.

to get the belt on, you'll have to place it on all the other sprockets except the cam. you'll then need to "bicycle chain" it on the cam gear, this part sucks. get calm beforehand, or else you'll pop a blood vessel.

budget the weekend, work slow, the 1.8t is a BITCH to keep in time on the cam, and if it goes out, you have to fight the belt all over again. the crank will stay if you don't bump it.

That's all the info I have. Hope this helps even more:)
Totally thankful man, now I know I can do this job and it's starting to look like an easy diy kinda thing thanks to you folks here at newbeetle org.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
It is easier to put the belt completely on the cam gears, and bicycle chain it on the smaller crank gear. Really easy, actually.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
belt

It is easier to put the belt completely on the cam gears, and bicycle chain it on the smaller crank gear. Really easy, actually.
How much do you turn the crank gear before it pop's in? 60/ OR 90 degree's then you just turn ccw back to TDC? Do you put the engine mount last after you pull the pin on the tensioner. from what I have been reading I don't understand the motor mount/tensioner problem as to which one go's in first to avoid problem ? Do you know?

·
Registered
21 Posts
http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/51553-best-timing-belt-install-method.html

I was hesitant at first too. And I had hiccups (as per the thread above), but its much better than shelling out $1400+ to have it done. All the diys I used are in that thread. I'd also make sure to purchase the right engine hoist. Torin Big Red Engine Support — 1100-Lb. Capacity, Model# TRE4007 | Engine Hoists + Stands | Northern Tool + Equipment is the one I bought.

Patience, take a **** load of pics, is all you need.

This was my first foray into maintenance on the beetle. I have since successfully done my front brakes (and hopefully tommorow) my back ones as well.

put the belt in first before you put the tensioner and water pump... lesson learned the hard way... lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
esse10: When you do it, it'd be nice if you could take a ton of pics and possibly even write up your own DIY. I know the other forum has lots of pics and guides, but there might be some differences between the NB and the GTI and stuff which you can help point out. :)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
diy

esse10: When you do it, it'd be nice if you could take a ton of pics and possibly even write up your own DIY. I know the other forum has lots of pics and guides, but there might be some differences between the NB and the GTI and stuff which you can help point out. :)
I'll do the best I can on the pictures I think i'll be too busy fighting the motor mount..LOL @indytom I don't think we need a hoist either, just use two jacks and a backup stand underneath just in case it happens to fall of the jack.
" LETZ DO DIZ " LOL

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts