VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way to tell (by looking) if a new timing belt or water pump on my 2003 turbo? i don't know history of the car . thanks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
is there a way to tell (by looking) if a new timing belt or water pump on my 2003 turbo? i don't know history of the car . thanks
If you are SMART, you would ASSUME it needs to be replaced and replace the belt, water pump, thermostat and housing, idler/tensioner.

Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts® or www.ecstuning.com

If you have the belt break, you will then need to buy everything listed above, do all of the work to replace the belt. But you will also spend a LOT more money and time pulling the cylinder head and having it reworked in addition to the additional down time on the car.

When it doubt, do it over, you will be much happier you chose this route.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
easy for you to say, i just got a estimate from the dealer $1800 plus tax, for water pump, and tensioner, and timing belt. i only paid 2000 for the 2003 turbo s with 108,000, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If you can do it yourself; you can just buy the timing belt/waterpump kit and it is pretty affordable then. Their high end kit comes with everything you need with high quality oem parts; to do the job correctly: $272.95.

VW Beetle Timing Belt - VW Beetle Timing Belt Kit - 1.8T

With a old out of warranty vw; I would not have a vw dealer do repairs, they are the most expensive place to do the work but you might call around to independent shops that specialize in VW or European cars for more affordable estimates.

Ideally, you should start repairing the car yourself; most of our cars are not worth much anymore but the diy approach, makes it cost effective, to maintain a old vw.

Read up on this diy; you can do it! :)

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/56999-timing-belt-water-pump-diy-aph.html

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
First mistake is even considering a dealer!

Yes,a backyard mechanic can do this job. If you can change the oil in the car, you "should" be able to replace the timing belt and water pump.

I almost drove 3 hours originally because a decent VW shop that knew exactly what they were doing would replace the timing belt, water pump and idler for around $450 as I recall.

But in the end I just decided to do the job, it was not as bad as it appeared on the surface as I recall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting you got an $1800 estimate for the repair package. That is really high, but not unexpected from a dealer.

I just had the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, accessory belt, etc changed on my 99 NB. I went to a highly rated German-only repair shop (Stones German Garage in Ballard). Very nice people, and the work cost $996 with tax (that included parts). I was very happy with it.

I had considered doing it myself (I have some mechanical skills, but I'm more 60's & 70's American cars & trucks) but available time was an issue for me.

I could tell my timing belt had not been done because the accessory belt was crap. There is no way that timing belt was replaced and a crappy accessory belt put back on. I know many times it is much harder to tell though.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
autohaus

MJM Autohaus has a pretty good kit for under $200 I already replaced mine twice using that kit.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
You can look at the belt but by the time the belt looks bad, you're really on thin ice. Plus, a belt may look fine but that tells you nothing. You also can't really check the other components very easily, like the tensioner. Water pump - you can check shaft play and make sure it doesn't leak, but just because its fine today doesn't mean it will be fine tomorrow. These engines are interference. You lose a belt, or water pump, or tensioner, etc. and you will have head damage to repair. Which will cost you a lot more than a timing belt service will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts