NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know, I'm trying to buy my first NB, going for a used car for about $6k. So far I've seen about 10 cars, and am still looking.

A couple of questions, but first some background. I'm from England, and am now living in New Hampshire. Back in England when you buy a car, one of the really important things is the car's service history. You expect to get all the receipts for services and work on the car, and also the log book to have been stamped by the dealer everytime they service the car, so you know the car has been looked after.

The cars I've seen so far do not have all that history. I've been looking at cars from dealers so far. The one dealer I asked said they don't have that to protect the previous owner's privacy - sounds like BS to me - but is that right / normal, or have I just been unlucky.

The reason I am asking is because all these cars have 60,000 - 80,000 miles on the odometer, and I'm worried that the timing belt is due for replacement, so I will be buying a car that will immediatly need another $700 spending on. What did you do?

Thanks for your help.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
thats pretty standard fare for a dealership purchase here. good luck getting a dealer to stamp your book..

your best bet is to buy from the owner of the car so you can ask its history and get that information (receipts) at the time of purchase

good luck, you might get lucky tho.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Technically they are not supposed to share previous service history for privacy reasons... ya it sux but occasionally you get lucky and can get a dealer to let you see the screen. They won't print it out for you.....but...

Most people do not save thier reciepts either...suxors... don't it? :mad:

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
madjalapeno said:
The cars I've seen so far do not have all that history. I've been looking at cars from dealers so far. The one dealer I asked said they don't have that to protect the previous owner's privacy - sounds like BS to me - but is that right / normal, or have I just been unlucky.
i bought mine used from a private seller and when i called the dealership where SHE bought it and had it serviced, i got the same thing: privacy. i had to get the previous owner to sign a letter granting permission for me to get copies of the service history. i got paper copies of all things done to my car.

why it's a privacy issue is beyond me. nothing should be private about a car's history and if it is, i'd look elsewhere!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
This is partly why we have carfax.com -- you pay $30 to see if anything "major" has been done to the car. Your belt is rated to go at 105k, Fowvay suggests 70k. I'm at 72k and intend to replace my belt at 75-80k (which the dealer says is way too soon). In our old forums, one man drove his car 218k on the factory belt. I'd suggest reading over the carfax report for the car (dealer should give you one for free -- request it), and if there are any papers witih the original/last owner's name or address, write them asking for any service records that they can provide. (note: the latter some consider an invasion of privacy, I'd be flattered if someone who bought my trade-in called me for help, but i'm weird like that).

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I subscribed to unlimited Carfax reports for a month, and it's certainly proving useful so far, but even on here the service history varies a lot. Some have it listed, some have nothing. I did check one of my other cars on there and I know that gets serviced at a main dealer (Jeep) and the does not have anything listed. Guess it depends how lazy the dealer is really.

Oh well - didn't find anything suitable this weekend. Was about to buy one that I'd seen the week before and all had seemed good, but thought I'd give it a final check over, only to see that it had a bad oil leek that hadn't shown up last week on the nice freshly cleaned engine. Should have seen the dealers face :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
madjalapeno said:
I subscribed to unlimited Carfax reports for a month, and it's certainly proving useful so far, but even on here the service history varies a lot. Some have it listed, some have nothing. I did check one of my other cars on there and I know that gets serviced at a main dealer (Jeep) and the does not have anything listed. Guess it depends how lazy the dealer is really.

Oh well - didn't find anything suitable this weekend. Was about to buy one that I'd seen the week before and all had seemed good, but thought I'd give it a final check over, only to see that it had a bad oil leek that hadn't shown up last week on the nice freshly cleaned engine. Should have seen the dealers face :eek:
I bet he wasn't too thrilled!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kcfoxie said:
I bet he wasn't too thrilled!
Not really. ;) Surprised he has not called today.

Thanks for all your help everyone. It's amazing how many things like this you kust 'know' for your own country, but go somewhere new and even the most basic items have to be relearnt.

In England when you buy a car, it comes with the licence plate it's always had, and getting anything custom is very expensive and limited. Over here it's easy, apart from the fact you need to bring your own plate. That got me the first time :|

1 - 8 of 8 Posts