NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided I want to keep my car rather than just flipping and was going through the paper work that was in the car when I got it over the summer.
The timing belt was last done at 126 kms in the summer of 2007.... It now has 211 kms. Should I get around to replacing the belt/water pump soon? And why do our cars have 2 water pumps?
Thank you in advance.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
I'd do it soon.

One water pump driven by the timing belt circulates coolant for the engine. A second electric aux pump pumps coolant after shut down for the turbo.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If you plan on keeping your car, I would probably replace the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt and tensioner, thermostat, temp sender, water pipe along the inner passenger frame rail and aux water pump.

So here is the deal, when the timing belt breaks, you have to replace it, BUT it costs you about $3500 and 2-3 weeks longer because the cylinder head will need to be removed. Replace the timing belt on your terms, it is on yous schedule and much cheaper and it does not leave you stranded.

The cars have 2 water pumps, 1 mechanical that runs off the timing belt and 1 electric that runs for about 10 minutes after the ignition key is turned off. The electric on cools the turbo on engine shut down.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I think VW originally had the timing belt recommended at 110-115k miles?

I was WAY nervous after 75k miles on my car, did it around 77k miles, but the car was 9 years old as well. Do the water pump, serpentine belt and tensioner at the same time.

Thermostat you need to watch it or expect to replace it every 3-4 years.

Aux water pump by year 10, some may need it earlier

Water pipe every 10 years or if it leaks before then depending on where in the country the car operates. The pipe rusts and will get pinhole leaks, pretty easy to replace then doing the timing belt.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Vw service interval was 105k miles but no time given. The Bentley Service manual recommends 5 years/60k which is more what I would follow. Much cheaper to do the job several times vs repairing the damage a failed belt causes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
If you plan on keeping your car, I would probably replace the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt and tensioner, thermostat, temp sender, water pipe along the inner passenger frame rail and aux water pump.
I'll add that I've done all of the above on my wife's car. Aux pump, stat, and water pump because they failed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts