NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Beetle gas 2.0. There is a faded yellow paint mark and a cut in the cam gear, one tooth apart. is it possible that the factory made the paint mark or should i line it up with the cut mark?

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I'd go with exactly how the manual states to do the job. Paint marks can be made by other shops doing the same job over the years. They may have just painted a set of marks, pulled the belt...and slapped it back together using paint reference marks.

Without knowing exactly what was in the mind of the former mechanic? I'd use a clintons/haynes manual and do it word for word...

S-

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
cam marks

Not really too important just as long as you make two white markings on the original timing belt/cam at the cam and two more at the bottom crank, then when you put the new belt count exactly the same number of teeth between both marks and put the same markings on the new belt before you install it and you can't go wrong........been there done that, works like a charm. do a google search on that so you can see pictures of what I'm talking about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts