NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing timing belt kit on 2000 vw beetle w/1.8T engine. The marks are about 1/2 tooth off, can't get them exact. They either 1/2 tooth off one way are the other. Does it have to be exact?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Have not run into this issue, my marks were pretty much dead on.

The issue is you may have a hard time making sure the crank is positioned correctly.

I recall given the angles that the you view the timing marks, they can appear to be off a bit unless you get a mirror and really make sure the crank mark is really aligned correctly.

Also did you check the timing marks with the old belt installed and did they appear to align properly?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The old belt some how got a plastic bag wraped up in it and made the belt slip(head rebuilt) The crank marks are dead own, but the cam marks are 1/2 tooth off either way with tensioner pin pulled. I've turned engine by hand and everything fills ok. Just need to know it will be fine, because this is my first and last beetle belt install.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
When I did the belt on my 2.0 I also noticed that the marks were not exact, but I'd say mine was less that 1/2 tooth off. I think that it is because the new belt is a bit shorter than it should be ideally to make the marks line up. Mine was a little off in the direction that the belt stretching a bit would line up the marks. I recommend that you set the belt so that the cam timing is the 1/2 tooth early rather than 1/2 tooth late. That way when the belt stretches a bit the timing will be right. Also, you might leave the belt tensioned for a few hours and then check the tension and timing again. The new belt may relax a bit and come closer to the mark.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
timing belt

The old belt some how got a plastic bag wraped up in it and made the belt slip(head rebuilt) The crank marks are dead own, but the cam marks are 1/2 tooth off either way with tensioner pin pulled. I've turned engine by hand and everything fills ok. Just need to know it will be fine, because this is my first and last beetle belt install.
whaaat? doing a T belt is a lot of fun..LOL :p I think that 1/2 a teeth is not bad unless you were off by one or complete 2 teeth. Good luck man

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just a heads up, make sure you do not use the crank pulley (what drives the serp belt) to set the engine to TDC. Use the window at the trans and look for the mark on the flex plate or flywheel and use that to set TDC.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
good

Everything went fine, runs great. But still the last.
It's good to hear you got it going. Did you wind up going with one teeth off at the timing mark? let us know here at newbeetle.org so other folks can learn from this experienc. Glad u got it fix.....:banana:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I knew it

1/2 tooth advanced.
I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT. Told ya half a tooth would be okay. mine was dead on but it seemed like when I would move it back and fourth it would came back to half a tooth so I double and triple checked it, said a little prayer and cranked the engine...LOL YAY! it was okay :jumpy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts