NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found this tip on YouTube yesterday prior to removing the old, wrinkled, and faded window tint from all 5 windows.

-Get one of those steamers (I see them all the time at yard/garage/estate sales, and I think I paid $8 for mine) that are for clothes, cleaning bathroom surfaces, etc. Mine's a "Scunci Steamer" but the guy in the video uses something else that he found at wallyworld. I like the one he uses because it's got a long hose, and he was able to leave the base unit on the ground and just hold the end of the steam wand with one hand and peel with the other. I'd already purchased mine on the cheap, so didn't want to go buy another. Mine didn't work as good, and it required 2 people; one to hold the unit, and one to hold the wand near the glass and peel the tint.

Mine......

The one in the video....

-Take a razor blade and put a small cut in the tint.

-Put the steamer wand against that cut and give it a nice blast of steam.

-Move the wand away and "pick" that cut line with your finger, and pull up the tint.

-Now use the wand to melt the tint ahead of where you're pulling on the tint.

-You may have to roll the door windows down to get that top edge started, peel the tint as far down as you can, and then roll the window back up, and peel the tint the rest of the way off.

In the video on Youtube, this resulted in the old tint peeling with the glue, and when done (took about a minute per window) the guy had clean, clear glass.

My result was that all of the glue was left behind, which is what the steam process is supposed to avoid. This is a disaster because the glue is then impossible to scrape off, takes a huge amount of time, and makes a big mess on your hands and in the car.

Light bulb moment: I grabbed a can of Berryman's Chemtool spray carburetor cleaner, sprayed it into a blue paper shop towel, and "washed" the window. As fast as I could wipe, the glue was transferred to the paper towel, and I had clean glass. I followed up with windex and black&white news paper, and the glass looks great.

Hope this helps someone else. I was really dreading the job, and praying I wouldn't damage the rear defroster glass wires. Imagine my surprise when the hatch window tint came off in sheets, and the entire job on that window was done in about 5min.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Removing glue from rear window tint

Good post for removing window tint. I used steamer to remove tint but glue remained. I was scared to use harsh chemicals so I used undiluted ammonia and a soft brissle toothbrush on my rear window and rear defrost works A OK. It took an hour on the rear window but I was happy everything worked out. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
to remove the glue go to any hardware store and look for a solvent called naphtha it should be in the paint department (lighter fluid) it works amazingly well. the only place i am not sure about using it would be the rear window. anyway it makes short work of the sticky stuff.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No need to fear the carb cleaner sprayed into a blue paper shop towel.

·
RichmondAir
29 Posts
Nice of you to share this tip; thanks. I might get something like this one someday for future use. I know there would be a time where I need to remove old window tint.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't use ammonia or ammonia-based cleaner on the inside of the rear hatch glass. Ammonia attacks copper, which is what the wires are made from. I use plain 0000 steel wool, which gets everything spiffy clean without harming the fragile defrost wires.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although I've never had a problem cleaning rear defroster glass with ammonia in 30-something years of owning vehicles, 0000 does do a great job on glass, chrome, and some stainless.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A good high powered heat gun(not a hair dryer) also works well but is time consuming. My poor bug had two layers of tint on the side windows, and 4 layers of tint on the rear. It was purple and I couldn't see through it. Really cheap stuff and they did a bad job too. I was able to remove all of mine without the use of a razer blade on the back window to save the rear defroster only to discover that it doesn't work anyways. Most people have a heat gun, paint stripper, and a few razer blades laying around. Its probably the cheapest route for tint removal. Just time consuming. Also id wait till like the middle of August to do it too. Park your car out in the sun and let it bake for a while. Makes it a lot easier.

·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No need to go through all that trouble. The steamer takes the tint and the glue right off in just a couple minutes per window, with no risk of damage, no scraping, and no need to wait for some type of optimal weather. The steamers are under $30 if a person needed to buy one new.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No need to go through all that trouble. The steamer takes the tint and the glue right off in just a couple minutes per window, with no risk of damage, no scraping, and no need to wait for some type of optimal weather. The steamers are under $30 if a person needed to buy one new.
I live in Pennsylvania, it's about -2 today. For areas where it gets really cold and if you don't have a heated garage I find removing tint, using a steamer or any method easier when it's warmer out. When it's cold the stuff flakes and breaks way easier.
I did my Saab a few years ago with a steamer, in July and had the whole car done in 15 minutes.
When I got my Beetle the garage wouldn't pass it for inspection cause of the tint and it was the middle of January and it was too cold for my steamer to do anything.
But yes on topic a steamer is the best choice

·
Bugabu
62 Posts
Cut a big trash bag open. Spray water outside of the window you want the tint off of,take the trash bag and lay out on the window you sprayed down and cut it size....then take the template (cut trash bag) and spray 409 on the tint of the inside of the window and stretch the bag over that.let it sit in the hot sun for about 20 minutes...then take flat razor and peel a bit of a corner of the tint and pull it off slowly. It takes off all the adhesive and tint and minimal washing is all that's left.I've done this process a few times and it gets easier all the time. It just time and effort.The first time I saw this the guy charged me $60.00. I'm saving my money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts