VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased 2004 convertible 2.0 GLS automatic 24kmiles. Yup 24k miles. Basically a grandma that never drove it. Bought it for my daughter. Always serviced at the dealer.
I’ve been out of the vw world for a while so I’m just looking for advice on things I should do, check, or upgrade etc.
Only issues so far:
1. Glove box lock latch is broken.
2. Driver side windows dont drop or go up down properly when opening the door or closing. Woman said it started happening after the battery went dead after sitting for too long.

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
Well, the miles are obviously low but it is still a 18 year old car. Many problems, crop up from age and not just mileage, alone.

If you know that the maintenance/service; was primarily done at the vw dealer, then you might take it back and have them review the service history, any open recalls, all the work that has been done to it.

Then, VW offers a free inspection; which, along with the documented service history, should give you an idea if its current status and any repairs that may need to be done to it, at this time.

Timing belt failure are a primary concern; which can get worn and age, which, age is probably more of a issue then mileage. A full timing belt and water pump kit; would probably be recommended after 18 years (flush cooling system, new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, thermostat, belts, etc). Typical maintenance parts could be in order as well; plugs, wires, fuel, cabin, air filters and possibly trans gear oil (standard) or fluid/filter change (auto).

Do you see yourself; doing your own maintenance and repairs or having a shop handle things for you? Give us more info and we can go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
Current issues:

1. The glove box door can be replaced, install a magnet kit or be repaired.

Magnet kit:

Repair info:

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
2. For the window issues: you might try a hard reset and see if that restores functionality to the windows.

Hard reset: remove +/- batter cables; touch them together and reinstall, see that helps?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts