NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's always one, or more, but in removing the alternator and of course stripped a bolt. Any tricks/tips on getting it out? There may be two and they are a little tight.
Tried vise grips but space is limited.

·
Registered
731 Posts
A good set of triple square (XZN) bits is essential when working on a vw. My brother has a Mercedes so I had to get a set of inverted torx for his car. It always helps to have the correct tools when working on a car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. I'm going to try a torch first. I have about a quarter inch play on the vise grips if that doesn't do it I'll have to use a bolt extractor

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
I would try a xzn socket first; try to hamm it in, so it grips anything that is left. On the vise grips idea; if you have a traditional monkey/plumbers wrench; they can grip very well and grip tighter, as you turn them.I have also found, old school; impact tools with a hammer, can work in tough situations but you need access to the area, might not be the right tool for your situation? The newer "bolt out" type tool sets; grab the out circumference of the botl or hammering on a 12 point socket, has worked sometimes as well. Heat, welding on a nut and many other removal methods are possible; then traditional extractors, could be the last resort?

Manual Hand Impact Driver Set

·
Registered
23 Posts
Spray the area down with a good penetrating oil first and wait an hour the hit it again and wait. Then use the correct triple square. If you continue to use the wrong tool you will completely strip the bolt or break it off. You might as well get a set of triple square bits, and new bolts. If you own a VAG vehicle and DIY you will definitely need them. Humble mechanic on youtube has a video of must have tool list if you plan on working on VAG cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts