NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am the [very] proud owner of a 2002 new beetle. It's great apart from the HU is radio/cassette (gamma unit with option for CD changer), which means I can't play CDs. I have an alternative in the form of a cassette adapter (Sony product - would highly recommend) through which I can play my MP3 player. What I really want is a Phatbox and have, in preparation, purchased the CD changer cable from my dealer as I did not have one installed.

I have the radio removal keys on order. The cable will need to run into the boot and I want to get this right as I'm very reluctant to go tearing my lovely car apart! I have a very able husband who will help with this fitting, but would appreciate any tips/pictures that might help.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Since you have a 2002, the changer connector is already in the trunk. No need for the cable from the dealer.... at least, not the long one that you connect to the rear of the headunit (which I presume is the one you're talking about, since you also speak of "radio removal tools"... with a 2002, there's no need even to remove the headunit).

The changer connector is in a small void, behind the carpet along the wall of the trunk on the driver's side. Just pull up the carpet and you should be able to find it. Your PhatBox will connect to this same connector. Then bolt down the mounting brackets (or, better yet, masanki's custom bracket - http://newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1365 ) to the exact same mounting holes as the factory CD changer (under the carpet on the floor). And you're done. It's virtually plug-and-play.

If you already have a portable MP3 player, and all you're after is better sound, though, you might look into a CD changer adapter rather than a PhatBox. Check out the How to here: http://newbeetle.org/vb3/showthread.php?p=784

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

On the drivers side at the very end of the wall there is a black box to which I presume the rear lights are fitted. There seems to be three slots and the middle one is empty - is this what you are referring to? It would be great if I didn't have to install a cable and yes I do want a phatbox!

Thanks
Jo

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
A black box? Pictures would help, but I don't believe that's it, no.

It will be under the carpet, more up toward the back of the rear seats. Once you pull the carpet away, you'll see a couple of access holes in the metal "wall". You may need to dig around a bit, but the connector will be in one of them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OKay I'll have another poke around. Just wondering if you're from the US as I'm from the UK and it may be that it's different here. Anyway, I'll go and pull the carpet up again!

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...still can't find it. The obvious answer is to take out the radio and see if there's a cable at the back of it! I will do that this weekend (I have the tools).

When looking in my boot, I noticed that the mounting holes are on the passenger side which says to me that the cable should be on that side too.

Oh well, will have to report back if I get time this weekend.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Yes... the connector will be on the same side that the mounting holes are.
I would suppose that they flopped the harness in Europe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts