VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has a good "how to do" instructional on the fluid change on the tiptronic trans???I have a 2008 bug and would consider doing this if there were an eazy way to do.....thnx in advance

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here are a bunch of links from the research I have done. My daughters 2007 Passat 3.6 has the 09G transmission and I need to do the service. Basically, you have to:
1. raise and level the car.
2. drain the fluid.
3. drop the pan.
4. replace the filter and clean the pan.
5. reinstall pan.
6. fill (awkwardly) the fluid with special tool through the drain hole.
7. run the car until fluid is approx 40C (monitor with VCDS or infrared thermometer on the pan). shift through gears.
8. open the drain and let the the system overflow.
9. close the system
10. repeat in 40k miles

VWVortex.com - 09G DIY filter and fluid change 6 speed auto

VWVortex.com - 09G 6 speed tiptronic ATF and filter change DIY

Automotive Tools for service and repair of VW, Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Volkswagen, Audi, Ford, Dodge including Cooling System Adapters, Stud Removers, Specialty Tools and Oil and Fluid Exchange for various Automotive and Industrial applications

TITAN ATF 4400 - Fuchs.

Volkswagen FUCHS TITAN ATF 4400 Automatic Transmission Fluid G055025A2 - RM European Auto Parts
6 speed auto 09G ATF fluid change and filter DIY

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
I can in the morning.....and will. My main problem with the 6262/2 tool is that it's so darned long....for no reason.

I'll get the picture posted around 8am tomorrow, CST.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
I put it up on ramps to drain and change filter and all, then hooked up the tool for filling, rolled it back down the ramp so it was level for filling. That's the main reason that I made the tool. It gave me a lot more clearance once it was off the ramps. I measured the amount of fluid that I drained and put the same amount plus a little more to start, so I'd know that there was plenty before starting it up to warm the xmsn, then adjusted from there. Whole process took less than an hour, and that was the first time I'd done it. I didn't use the VW fluid, BTW. Used Amsoil universal synthetic. I use that in everything anyway, and it is good in the Bug, too. It meets VW's specs.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Since you filled it after rolling off the ramps, and warmed it. Did you get back on the ramps to release excess fluid, remove the tool, and put the plug back in? Or was there room with the car directly on the ground?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
There's enough room to reach under and replace the drain plug, barely. It is a little messy, though, although by measuring the amount and adding a little extra, the spillage upon removing the fill tube was minimal, and I had a shallow foil baking pan to catch the drips as the fluid dropped to the correct level when the tranny warmed up. The main mess is just fluid running up your arm when it's under there.

So here's the filling tube setup....just a funnel with an eye to hang it by, with a hook fashioned out of solid copper wire, an appropriate length of 3/8" vinyl tubing and the AN-6 hose adapter screwed onto the AN-6 to M10x1.0 male adapter. My memory isn't what it once was. The AN-6 piece isn't a 90° fitting after all. It's straight. In all, the tool is just under 2" long. I don't remember where I bought the pieces. Since I live in the boonies, it was from someone on the web. When I use it, everything is screwed in finger tight.

Can't figure out how to make these pics thumbnails, so here they are full size.......

Cable Wire Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory

Auto part

Screw Plastic Fuel line Rim Nut

·
Registered
712 Posts
Walnut,
Thanks for the pics, and I'm glad you didn't resize them.

I usually read this forum on my phone and can't see avatars that people have. I logged on on my pc and was pleasantly surprised to see you proudly displaying a Huey. I was a Huey (UH-1N) crew chief in the USMC and thought you might like to know there are other air wingers out here! I tried attaching a picture of me shooting a GAU17 in '93 Bosnia.
Semper Fi,

Attachments

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
Thank you for your service, Marine. I was an Army captain, a pilot in Nam back in 68-69. Flew the D model slicks for awhile, then went into Charlie model gunships. That was my Charlie model in the avatar, sitting on a pad in Bien Hoa, April 1969. Unit members have started reuniting, as we are getting older, and I've been in touch with my old crew chief, but haven't as of now been able to find my door gunner. There's a bond that is never broken, either by time or circumstance. I'm sure you understand what I mean. Here's my door gunner.....wish we'd had the GAU17 back then. All we had was the M60 machine gun for the crew. Had those GE miniguns mounted on the pylons, though, fired by the co-pilot. Then again, even if the GAU17 were available, we wouldn't be able to carry the ammo for it. As it was we only flew with 1/2 tank of JP-4, just so we could carry a reasonable amount of ammo and rockets, and still get 'er off the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Big thanks to Walnut, his pictures and comments helped me greatly.
after seeing his pic i went to home depot and used a couple of brass fittings and a nylon fitting/barb.
Pretty much copied Walnut (imitation is the highest form of flattery..LoL)
the fluid i was using had a tube nipple that i was able to push into my clear tubing. I than held the fluid high and squeezed. to get the rest of the fluid in i cut a small hole at the bottom of the fluid container and blew into it. As I filled the container up with air I squeezed and the fluid went easily into the pan. I did notice i was able to put 3 qts in before it started to flow back into the tubing. I started the car, went through the gears and stayed in D for 10 seconds and put it back in park. With the car idling I watched as the fluid got picked up. But than fluid came back down into the tubing but it was a much darker color. Must be from the torque converter. After using my thermometer and the pan was at 40 degrees i took my Specialty tool and fluid was flowing like crazy. I waited until it slowed down to a slight stream. I than put the drain bolt back in (along with new crush washer) and torqued it down. Hand torque. What do I have to do to get the older fluid out of the torque converter? these ATFs aren't cheap.
Here are my pics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All parts came from Home Depot, the fluids and filter/gasket i got from blauparts as a kit.
Parts from Home Depot totaled 12.00 (fittings and vinyl tubing)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I know it's costly but since I don't know if my transmission was serviced by the previous owner, I plan on doing the full filter, fluid service in the next couple of weekends. From my understanding, I will get 3.5 - 4.5 qts of fluid out. I will repeat the fluid only change without dropping the pan and filter after 5k miles. Maybe a waste of money in fluid, but that's the only way I know to try and get most of the fluid out. I wish there was a way to pump 7 qts into the cooler return line while the cooler inlet was disconnected. That way when you see new fluid, you could stop, reconnect the line, check the level by the pan method, and be done, with new fluid.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Walnut,
Cool picture. We carried a M60 strapped under the crew chief seat in case we went down. It would become a crew served weapon with plenty of ammo from the gau! A 50 on the other side, and two 7 shot rocket pods.

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tiptronic-09g

very very good info....putting the oil in seems the biggest chalange...I wonder what kind of set up the dealership uses???/hmmmm

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
What do I have to do to get the older fluid out of the torque converter? these ATFs aren't cheap.
Glad you got 'er changed. The only way to get the old oil out (at least most of it) is to do several changes in a row. I know it's not cheap, but I know of no other way with the Beetle. With my ol' Jeep pickup, I disconnect a line to the cooler and replace fluid as it is pumped out. But this won't work with the Beetle without a lot of re-engineering. The '02 I used to have went a little over 100K before I changed the fluid, so I did it three times within a month. Like I said before, I'm using Amsoil Universal synth fluid, and bought a 5 quart container and used all of it in cleaning out the old stuff.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
Walnut,
Cool picture. We carried a M60 strapped under the crew chief seat in case we went down. It would become a crew served weapon with plenty of ammo from the gau! A 50 on the other side, and two 7 shot rocket pods.

Y'all were still using the 2.75" folding fin rockets that we used in Nam?

Me, age 21, 17 pound warheads on these rockets. We could barely get the "Hog" off the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yes sir, and now, the Marine Corps has UH-1Y and AH-1Z and are still using FFAR. We could, but never did carry those 19 shot pods (weight and balace)!
If you are on facebook, I am one of the admin's to "Marine Skid Kids", we have 4898 members! Guys from Nam all the way to currently deployed Marines. If you want to join it, pm me your user name and I'll add you.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/176274514878/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts