VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as though the Tiptronic transmissions continue to fail. Mine did at 64,000 miles and less than 5 years old. That was 5 years ago.

Are there any owners who have more than 60,000 miles who have these and they have not failed?

Have there been problems with failures with the stick shift transmissions, outside of normal wear and tear such as a clutch?

·
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
114 Posts
manual tranny

Ive had 3 NBs, all with manual transmission. ..thats all I like. :cool:

First one doesn't count for this cause I only had it about 10k miles.

2nd and 3rd Ive had for over 240 and 220k miles respectively miles. I killed the first beetle's clutch after 180k of decently mixed driving. Some street races, lots of highway, an several years of city commute traffic. Its a 1.8t and I was in college. *cough*

3rd is a TDI I got used at 30k miles. Its about 1/2 highway and 1/2 city commute traffic. I just today dropped the tranny cause I had a starter explode and leave pieces in the housing. Its had no clutch problems, but it seems like the throw out bearing has some wear that may lead me to replacing it.

Ive just been reading up that lots of people suggest replacing the whole thing once you've got it this far apart since its such a PITA, so Im considering that option. Its not given me trouble, but Im right at the place I wore out the other one.

So far though.. Ive found these to be quite nice. Hope my info adds a relevant data point. 0 other tranny problems, but I do keep a pretty decent regiment of checking all fluids, even the manual tranny oil.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The Tiptronic transmissions are pretty solid overall, the valve bodies suck and will wear to the point the transmission will shift harsh in as few as 60-65k miles depending on where/how the car is used. City drivers are far more likely to have issue at lower mileage than highway cruisers.

The good news is you can either get the original valve body reworked or get an exchange valve body for around $500 plus fluid and if you can DIY, it is not a hard job, about 2.5-3.0 hours to R&R the valve body.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Only real failures I know about on a manual transmission in these cars:
- Failure of the shift carrier on the early cars because the piece is plastic. You'll be left with only 3rd and 4th gear but its a cheap part and pretty easy to replace. I had this happen and I think it was less than $150 all said and done, parts and labor, from my mechanic.
- Failure of the 1-2 shift fork in the 6-speed manual (which is only found on the Turbo S). Not a super cheap repair, but not the most expensive either. I'd still take dealing with that over rebuilding/replacing an automatic any day.

I've been driving manual transmission VWs for nearly 10 years now and no problems at all. I've not had to put a clutch in either of my daily drivers either. I'm pretty happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts