NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I give up! Having owned many original beetles and a couple of other rear engined German cars I am totally confused as to why the front engine beetle specifies lower tire pressure in the front and high in the rears. This is opposite to all I have been doing for a long time on other cars. Anyone out there have a good technical explanation as to the basics of this pressure requirement? Help me out here!!! Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sticker on the door and the owners manual both state 32 front, 39 rear. That is what has me confused..........Ron

·
253 Posts
I couldn't find any information on tire pressure in the manual or on the car (didn't look on the fuel filler door) on our 2001 GLX with 17" wheels. That recommendation makes no sense to me either. I run 32 in the front and 30 in the rear.
juice

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
timeless said:
The sticker on the door and the owners manual both state 32 front, 39 rear. That is what has me confused..........Ron
I always run 32 on all fours ... unless Zoomer gets a tire leak. :p

My dad was putting 52 into my sisters BUG! Im surprised her tires didnt explode! EEP!

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I'd recommend looking at the tires, not the door. I run mine at 40 all the way around with regular wear and performance. If anything it's helping me with fuel mileage. Squishy tires feel good but rob momentum. The door doesn't know what kind of tires you have.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
The tires only show maximum pressure (hehe, they don't know how much your car weighs), not the correct pressure to hold up the weight of the car.

timeless, sounds like you're reading the pressure for "with full cargo and highspeed travel" or something.

Anyway, I run 36 all around it works good for me. I tend to get carried away w/this stuff; I checked it out w/ a puddle of water and some sand that was right next to it once. Just to make sure the contact patch was right.

Whatever suits ya.

·
253 Posts
Well, nobody is addressing the front rear bias question. I try to get the tires to appear the same in profile. In other words, they should squish about the same. As long as you are in a safe operating range, your tire pressure is a matter of personal preference. If you don't mind a harsh ride, pump 'em up (I think 40psi is kinda high, though). Too much tire presssure will result in abnormal wear in the center of the tread. I also think high pressure reduces your contact patch and can negatively affect braking. Too little will increase wear on the edges. Around 32 seems to work for us.
juice

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to see this generated so much interest !! Not to restate the obvious, but perhaps I did not communicate my question correctly. My query was simply put, why the pressure recommendations are the opposite of other automotive applications in which the pressures are based on front/rear weight bias. I am not commenting on the correctness of the numbers, just wondering why the departure from what I am used to seeing. The pressures I referenced are max capacity cold values per the 2006 owners manual. Now perhaps I should find the front to rear weights and move on, eh?

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
dang, i swore my fuel lid said 28 PSI. i am going to have to check it again. i have mine at 28 on all four. i am guess i'll need to adjust that. :rolleyes:

·
253 Posts
Timeless,
My fuel cap door lists four different pressure combinations:
half load:
under 100 mph = 28f/28r
over 100 mph = 30f/28r
full load:
under 100 mph = 30f/32r
over 100 mph = 32f/38r
A full load would shift the weight bias toward the rear because the seat locations are more rearward and almost all the trunk space is behind the rear wheels.
The lower speed/weight recommendation is to reduce ride harshness, I'm sure. Even though we will probably never drive the car over 100 mph, I prefer to run 32f/30r for economy and safety.
juice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts