NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still haven't replacled my michelins...

anyway, would a 205/50-17 or 215/45-17 tire handle better than the stock 225/45-17? it seems to me that there's too much bulge on the 225/45's which would make it not handle as good. i'd like to maximize the handling when i do buy the new tires very soon.

does anyone have any experience with a "smaller" sized tire on a NB? thanx...

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
205/50 17 -VS- OEM 225/45 17

Pros

Better snow traction

Better High speed stability in rain

Better Fuel economy due to lower wind resistance and lower frictional losses

Quicker turn in response

Cons

Lower Cornering G's

Lower Grip in the dry

Less rim protection from curbs and automatic car washes

215/45 17 -VS- OEM 225/45 17

Pros

Lower overall gearing for better acceleration

Quicker turn in response

Better snow traction

Better stability in the rain

Cons

Speedometer error

less rim protection from potholes and curbs

rougher ride

lower cornering G's in the dry

lower gas milage due to lower gearing

higher cost due to less common size.

less tire choices

My recomendation is to stick with 225/45 17 for summer and all season use and use the 205/50 17 for winter tires.:goodjob:

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
Second that, I run that exact setup, 225/45 summer, 205/50 winter on stock 17s.
The 225s on stock wheels work very well. You could extract maybe a little more performance mounting them to an 8" or even 8.5" wide rim, but it may not be quantifiable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since i'm only using all-season tires, i guess i can stick with the 225's...just wanted to make sure before i order today...i can feel the snow coming. now if i could only decide which tires for sure :confused:

how do you like your proxes4's?

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
ndangrd said:
since i'm only using all-season tires, i guess i can stick with the 225's...just wanted to make sure before i order today...i can feel the snow coming. now if i could only decide which tires for sure :confused:

how do you like your proxes4's?
My advice is to goto www.tirerack.com and use thier excellant customer reviews, test data and comparison charts to help you make an educated decision. :goodjob:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fowvay said:
My advice is to goto www.tirerack.com and use thier excellant customer reviews, test data and comparison charts to help you make an educated decision. :goodjob:
i've done it a thousand times. i had it narrowed down to the Avon's or Kumho's & i just ordered the Kumho's after extensive research.

i still can't believe the Avon's are that highly rated especially when tirerack is the only place selling them...anyway, that, the price, & warranty is what sold me on the Kumho's...

thanx for all the help...looking forward to FINALLY having some nice tires on this beast ;)

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
ndangrd said:
i've done it a thousand times. i had it narrowed down to the Avon's or Kumho's & i just ordered the Kumho's after extensive research.

i still can't believe the Avon's are that highly rated especially when tirerack is the only place selling them...anyway, that, the price, & warranty is what sold me on the Kumho's...

thanx for all the help...looking forward to FINALLY having some nice tires on this beast ;)
I'm assuming you are reffering to the Kumho ASX?

If so... congrats it sounds like a great tire. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fowvay said:
I'm assuming you are reffering to the Kumho ASX?

If so... congrats it sounds like a great tire. :)
yep, that's the one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts