NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has tried using different speed ratings tires on their vehicles. On a 2001 Beetle, the speed rating for the tires is listed as 91H would it be possible to use tires with a 91V speed rating?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hopefully others respond but my local tire guys made a big deal (would not allow me to downgrade) about my 2003 Passat needing Z rated tires. Personally, I feel that is an Autobahn thing and do not see the need. That said, I will say when those Z rated tires were clean and wet shined they looked wicked cool. I recall they were like $1200 or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the higher speed rated tires had a line in the middle of it: When I asked the sales rep about this, they said it was the way the tires were moulded. Here's a picture:

tire.jpg

It looks like it's attached together at this point, like a belt. Would this have any affect on vehicle handling?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It varies as both winter and summer tires have this kind of design.

Will a V rated tire work in place of an H rated tire ? Z is the fastest rating, did it work on your Passat or was there a difference in handling i.e. turning, stopping?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, V will work over H. I didn't really feel the Z rated tire was really worth it and the same for the other faster ratings. Fastest I could her was 140mph LOL. . I live in small town and drives are mostly short but if I commuted and drove more I would consider speed ratings of value but I don't. Honestly, I care more about the sidewall design than speed rating.
This seems to indicate I was right about the Autobahn speed thing and also that many tire dealers are worried of liability putting on lower rated tire.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=362851

1 - 6 of 6 Posts