NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I took my vehicle in for an inspection. When I got it back, I noticed a tiny piece of tread missing near the middle, looked as if it was removed. There's also a dot which looks rubbed off near the left area of the tire.

This didn't happen before, the tires are in good condition, they haven't been driven on with a lot of mileage. Is there any way to stop this?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,888 Posts
Could you maybe post a picture?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, here are two pictures:

Picture 1 has the tread missing near the right, this was a few days after I brought the vehicle back from the inspection. Tire_tread 1.jpg
Picture 2 has the tread looking like it was rubbed off with friction.
Tire_tread 2.jpg
The thing is, this tire never looked like this before, why does it look like this and any suggestions on how to stop this?

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
How old are the tires? Check the date code on them. My guess is they're dry rotted from age. If that's the case, they're not safe and need replaced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5 years. This is only one tire, the other tires don't have this problem, I was wondering why something like this happened only after an inspection (the tires were taken off and put back on)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a look at the tires again, and it seems the tire pressure is uneven with the tire in question inflated to the max load (33 psi) while the other one isn't. I usually don't keep it at the max load capacity, it was done during the inspection.

Should I bring the inflation down to the other tire level? Is it possible to repair the missing tread?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Tire pressure will make no difference for something like that. My guess is you ran over something, likely a piece of metal or concrete. That spot is so small I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s unlikely that it will ever be a problem. Unless of course another spot just like it shows up.

What kind of tires and where were they manufactured?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are all season tires were manufactured in the U.S.A. by Michelin. This tire was new, I think the tire make is discontinued now. (Michelin tends to discontinue certain tires a lot, and if you buy one and then it's discontinued, no exchange even if you have not used it.)

Pictures 1 and 2 are the only spots on the tire, and there doesn't seem to be another spot like this one on the tire so far.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I drive Michelin’s all the time and I like them. That’s a very small spot, on my car I probably wouldn’t even have noticed because my tires are never that clean. I do a lot of back road (dirt) driving where a traffic jam is a tractor going up the center of the road.

Keep watch for a week or two if nothing further develops, don’t worry about it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
If the tire is only 5 years old, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to be cautious, I'd check the tire occasionally (like when you get gas) just to make sure it doesn't get worse.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll keep watch and checking, what about high speed driving would there be more friction?

Speaking of tires I bought a full size Michelin tire which I have as a spare tire a year and a half ago. Michelin discontinued that make of tire and the newer version of the same tire has a thicker sidewall. I was told not to mix the spare with the newer version.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
New_Beetle
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing