VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please be patient I will try to throw everything going on as efficiently as possible. I just picked my first vw its a 2002 beetle sport. I have noticed front end knock when I start rolling in reverse and occasionally when turning. I thought it was strut mounts which I replaced and helped but since then I have noticed that my fd tire angles out while fp tire angles in. I haven't inspected rear bushings but with age of vehicle I'm thinking new bushings all the way around and control arms. Eventually I would like to lower and add a rear sway bar. So the sway bar im not worried about right now. I'm trying to be cost efficient at the moment. So my question is with replacing this much of the suspension should I might as well lower at the same time? Kit recommendations? I will be doing everything myself I've always worked on my own cars, no hand holding necessary. I'm just trying to get it solid for commuting and then play and looks but if there won't be to much of a difference why not kill to birds with one stone. Please remember im on a budget. I dont need top of the line but I dont want **** either and I I know that I should stY away fro polyurethane bushings so we can skip that lecture. Please help I dont have money to burn gotta get it right the first time. Sorry long winded first post I've ever done.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Could be a nubmer of things; control arm bushings are very common failure point. After, almost 20 years and 100k; most Mark IV VW's, need a full suspension and front end refresh. They sell kits with everything you need; some, get the control arms with a upgraded audi tt solid rubber bushings, to add steering preciseness and those bushings last longer, then the originals with the air voids in them. There are tons of cheap kits out there; they tend to be cheap chinese knockoff parts and bottom barrel brands like URO, which are known, to prematurely fail. OEM, brands, like lemfoerder and other classic german companies; tend to offer quality, that will last and then, some like moog, maybe another option. Check out fcpeuro; for quality oem parts with a lifetime warranty and they offer front end, suspension rebuild/refresh kits or parts sold individually, as needed.

Other classic "knock" or "clunk" sound related issues; can be the transmission and engine mounts, in particular the "dogbone" mount, that connects the subframe and transmission. The rubber on these mounts; can pack up, lose their height or if original, like the dogbone mount, the rubber will just fall apart, leave air gaps with no rubber left.

I don't recommend this poly ECSTUNING dogbone but this gives you an idea of how the stock ones, wear out, the install involved in replacing one.

Here is a video, going over the other engine and trans mount, wear problems and install process: (034 mounts shown; stiffer rubber mounts):

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on thanks for the feed back. I think I'm vw guy now I really like this little car. Its funny because before I would talked smack about it being chick car but got it for 900 got some new shift linkage and im rolling. Enjoying the project!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
VW's have historically, always been made fun of; these are typically, by people who never owned one but once you drive any VW, you realize, how fun they are to drive. The German design and handling; always, give a unique, "feel" to the driving experience. VW's are quirky, have their own unique look and lower on the Germany brand scale (compared to Mercedes, BMW, etc) but the driving experience, is what most of us fell in love with. The New Beetle, was packed with quite a bit of advanced technology; for their era and with the 1.8T, standard trans, can be pretty quick with room, for performance improvement, if you desire. The New Beetle, is part of the Mark IV platform; shared with the Golf and Jetta, so parts, mods, diy info, is widly available and parts are not too expensive, compared to other German brands.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my best friend is vw guy and I did drive both his golfs quite a bit 2.0 I think 96s and wasn't impressed didn't really catch me. But this little 1.8t I can forsee some tickets in my future. I'm to damn old to be having this much fun. The maneuverability and just enough power and im loving the potential, reading the forums I dont think there's much somebody hasn't already done and are willing to share knowledge I think that's the best part. A lot of other car groups carry a lot of haters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts