NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about TiVo except that it records shows for you. Do you need to have some sort of subscription for it to work or do you just need the DVR box?
I'm thinking of gettin myself this for Christmas. I'm a horrible TV watcher. I never know when the shows I like are on and if I do I forget about em and remember too late and miss them. :rolleyes:

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FineExampl said:
Yes young lady it is a pay service last i heard. I'm buying a DVD recorder myself.
Aww that stinks! Who do I hafta speak to bout dis crapola?

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
I have a DVR, which is similar, but not specifically TiVo. I get DVR through Comcast, which is my cable company. There is no extra equipment to buy, you just get a cable box with the DVR included in it. And it's $10 a month extra. I figure after all the money I'm already spending on cable, what's another $10???

And, might I say, DVR is the greatest thing ever invented. :eek:)

·
33 &#8531;
15,621 Posts
JrsyGrl said:
I have a DVR, which is similar, but not specifically TiVo. I get DVR through Comcast, which is my cable company. There is no extra equipment to buy, you just get a cable box with the DVR included in it. And it's $10 a month extra. I figure after all the money I'm already spending on cable, what's another $10???

And, might I say, DVR is the greatest thing ever invented. :eek:)
Agreed. I had it with COMCAST, but since I moved to a land of ADELPHIA (phooey, icky, woeful cable), I lost it. So, I went back to my SONY® DVR, which is okay, but not nearly as cool as the DVR through Comcast. THAT service ruled. Worth every penny.

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just checked out the TiVo website (i guess i could have done that instead of bothering you guys :rolleyes: ) and I can get a 40 hour box for 49 bucks if I pre pay a year of tivo service for 12.95/month.

·
33 &#8531;
15,621 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
I just checked out the TiVo website (i guess i could have done that instead of bothering you guys :rolleyes: ) and I can get a 40 hour box for 49 bucks if I pre pay a year of tivo service for 12.95/month.
Do it! It's such a smart service. FOR instance, let's say you like to record (and watch later), David Letterman. You set it up to record that show, and it will, and then, let's say Dave has a week of reruns...the service will not record those, without you telling it to! Keen!

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PhoenixRising said:
Do it! It's such a smart service. FOR instance, let's say you like to record (and watch later), David Letterman. You set it up to record that show, and it will, and then, let's say Dave has a week of reruns...the service will not record those, without you telling it to! Keen!
I think I just might do that! :goodjob:

Thanks everyone for all the input!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
A few things to consider first.

What type of cable/satellite do you have? If you simply have analog, you would be set to just get a DVR/TiVo box from Best Buy, and you're golden.

However, if you have digital cable, Dish Network, DirectTV or the like, that requires a cable box, then you are really better off getting a DVR type box from your provider. Otherwise, you lose a lot of capabilities. You would be required to keep your existing cable box, and have the cable come in from the street, to your cable box, and then to the DVR/TiVo. Which means, you would always need to set the DVR/TiVo to record on channel 3, and make sure you program the cable box as well. There are various options, for instance, I have one TV that has just a plain old cable box, that I, on occassion, will record to a VCR. The cable box will control the cable box, but is unable to actually power it on. So I must either set the VCR still, to record on channel 3, or I must leave it turned on. The cable box can then just tell it when to record, and when to stop (seems silly to me).

Anyway. Just some things to think about. If you have digital cable, call your cable company and see if they have one box that is the digital cable box/dvr all in one.

If you have Dish Network or DirectTV, they do have DVR boxes with built in TiVo or TiVo-like features.

·
Oil burning member
49 Posts
the older Tivo boxes could be programed just like a VCR for time and date of recording, you could use it with out paying for the service

I have a dishnetwork DVR

·
Registered
471 Posts
I love my TiVo!!!!!!!!! Greatest invention ever :)

If you do get TiVo, be sure to turn off the feature to have it record things you might like. TiVo will go crazy and record a ton of stuff, then before you know it TiVo is stuffed and won't have the memory to record your show.

One feature I love about TiVo is the season pass feature. You select your show, lets say CSI, and you can click season pass, and it will record all the shows for the season (minus repeats if you select that option).

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
My son thinks TiVo is right up there next to oxygen and Coke; he'd die without his.

He called two weeks ago to tell us he was giving us TiVo for Christmas (I was so excited!); then he called back and said after calling DirectTV (our satellite company) it wouldn't work for us. We can't get network stations through the dish-- we get ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox all off an antenna. The TiVo would only record the satellite channels, and since we really only record the stuff on the major networks it just didn't make sense.

Good luck with yours, though! The day after t-giving we were at Best Buy and I saw a 40-hour TiVo for a great price. They say once you have it, you'll never watch regular tv again!:)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
TiVo is like $15/mo or $300 lifetime activation. I believe if the unit dies you can also transfer the TiVo lifetime service to another TiVo DVR. I have had both a series 1 and series 2 TiVo (only series 2 is sold now, they have USB ports for network ability in the back), and liked them both. However, I went on a 9 month No TV binge, and sold the TiVos (I had 2) and three TVs. My neighbor just gave me another TV, and I'm debating on TiVo vs the USB-Tivo-like Mac-based DVR (since I stare at the iMac more than the TV).

But.. I'd give a thumbs up for it. I always paid monthly, and the boxes have retained value over the years. They are almost as old as the new beetle.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
A couple more thoughts.

For the extremely cheap (Like me), there is a non-subscription TiVo service called basic TiVo, which doesnt include things like the Season Pass that SilverVW3 mentioned. Basic TiVo is basically an on-screen TV guide, with single touch recording. You can also set it up to record the same time slot each week.

It was first available on the Toshiba SDH 400, a combined Tivo and DVD player. That is what I have. I did a quick check on ebay, and there is at least one available there. I think i paid $120 on ebay, and got a nice dvd player out of it too. It looks like there is a new DVD recorder version that toshiba is offering, which is the RS-TX 20. $380, lifetime basic tivo included.

"40 hrs" is a little misleading. 40 hrs is for low quality recording, which i almost never use. At best quality, 40 hrs coverts to something like 13-16 hrs. Which is not a lot of recording time. I recommend 80 hrs minimum (thats what I have, and I can keep my favorite around for months without clearing them off for new stuff)

·
18,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hhoowwiiee said:
A couple more thoughts.

For the extremely cheap (Like me), there is a non-subscription TiVo service called basic TiVo, which doesnt include things like the Season Pass that SilverVW3 mentioned. Basic TiVo is basically an on-screen TV guide, with single touch recording. You can also set it up to record the same time slot each week.

It was first available on the Toshiba SDH 400, a combined Tivo and DVD player. That is what I have. I did a quick check on ebay, and there is at least one available there. I think i paid $120 on ebay, and got a nice dvd player out of it too. It looks like there is a new DVD recorder version that toshiba is offering, which is the RS-TX 20. $380, lifetime basic tivo included.

"40 hrs" is a little misleading. 40 hrs is for low quality recording, which i almost never use. At best quality, 40 hrs coverts to something like 13-16 hrs. Which is not a lot of recording time. I recommend 80 hrs minimum (thats what I have, and I can keep my favorite around for months without clearing them off for new stuff)
Thanks! I knew there was a reason I bothered you guys instead of doing the research! I get sidetracked very easy and bored easily too. There is no way I would have found all this out on my own. Thanks again everyone!

·
Caliente!
597 Posts
I LOVE my Tivo!!! I have had it for 2 years now and would never get rid of it. We have the 40 hour basic model and have never had a space issue. If I had it to do again, I would probably buy the one with the DVD burner on it. Right now, I have to transfer shows I want to keep forever to my PC with Tivo2Go and then burn them to DVD. There is an option to transfer them to VHS if you have a VCR connected but we got rid of our VCR when we got the Tivo.

Also, we are connected to the Tivo service via the wireless Internet method. This gives us the ability to play our MP3s on our PC through the Tivo and also view Photos on our PC through Tivo. The nice thing about that is that you have a menu listing of all your songs and play them through your surround sound system. Also, viewing photos in the living room through the TV is much better than trying to congregate friends/family around your PC for viewing.

Let me know if you have any other questions! Also, I am part of the Tivo Rewards program and would appreciate the referral points if you do sign up. See my Tivo thread on the old forums.

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts