NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I add an engine cover or leave as is? Didn't have one when I bought her. If I do, I'd use something like an ABD carbon fiber cover.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
I say leave it uncovered, so all the world can see! :D

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
I wouldn't cover up the back portion of the supercharger; major part of the casting, Neuspeed logo and pulley and nose... however, I think a smaller customer made cover out of the same material as your Neuspeed intake would look good, match/complete the look.

Look at this article link (below) for ideas for a cover; looks like they custom made it by hand, if it was silver, aluminum or whatever material, to match the P-Flo bracket/holder/shield I think it would complete the look of the engine bay. As it is; I think the secondary air injection system, pressure pump, dipstick tube, alternator, hoses, part of the intake junction, etc. look to "exposed" and unfinished; it looks like some stopped after putting on the supercharger, p-flo, covers, dipstick and didn't complete the job. It does not match the rest of the engine compartment and needs covered up, styled,! :) You can do it; don't stop here! :)

Check out this article: how the owner finished off the engine bay; a bit extreme cleaning up of things but the cover is what stands out, works for me... although I would do it differently (this is very close but no cigar!).

(click through the gallery; for more/different angles/views of the engine bay)

2001 Volkswagen Golf Mk4 Neuspeed Supercharger Photo 4

I think it would take some time but would be easy to make; if you did some bending, cool little beautiful Tig welding bead patterns (look for inspiration: beetle cup racing cars, RSi, F1, hot rod or pro street), maybe some neat detail stamping/press/hand work, small holes like a stock golf/jetta cover etc,; it could really start looking like a race car! :) I would look at some of the VW tuning sites and mags for ideas as well.

Ohh! Take the Neuspeed sticker logo; as a inspiration for the cover; water jet that "Supercharged, Neuspeed" logo/type into it! Ok, enough already! :) Thousands of dollars later... LOL! :)

Maybe a opportunity to learn some metal hand working skills! :)

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/...iques_to_metal_shaping_from_home/viewall.html

More inspiration: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3738397-Engine-bay-picture-thread

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Billymade, What do you think of this cover?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
I think it looks ok; similar to the stock one (shape wise), I guess the real question is how you think it looks! I think something that highlights the other Nuspeed stuff and Pflo would be cool; gives it some visual harmony! :cool: My design sense has been; if you are going to do a design style or concept, carry it through out the project (or "don't go half way; go all the way" as it were), in this case, the whole engine compartment. (I think I remember my art, design, professor saying and teaching us this! Bauhaus design concepts anyone?!) :) Oops, I am waxing philosophical here... :) Ahh, a German word seems to be apropos here... Gestalt!

ge·stalt /gəˈstɑ:lt, gəˈʃtɑ:lt/ noun

Gestalt refers to the concept that the whole “togetherness” of something is greater than the sum of its individual parts. It is the total concept of the item being created – rather than just thinking of the separate pieces that make up the item.

The Gestalt Principles

http://graphicdesign.spokanefalls.edu/tutorials/process/gestaltprinciples/gestaltprinc.htm

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The whole interior has carbon fiber trim and the shift knob is CF. I didn't install any of this, but I do like it. Putting CF under the hood would continue that theme. I do think the engine compartment looks unfinished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts