VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. My wife wants a beetle convertible. I have been looking around to purchase a 2006 or newer used beetle. I am concerned about reliability and longevity for these cares. I need some insight from those that currently own these cars. I am looking for information as to how many miles it should survive and what to expect in long term reliability. I just don't find many out there with more than about 124000 miles or so and that concerns me about how long they last. Please offer your comments. I need to purchase something quick.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Nope

Hate to tell ya but I would say stay away from these cute little cars. they're fun to drive but require lots of maintenance and expensive parts. You'll be spending your weekends in the Garage working on the car instead of the country club playing golf :p. I'm trying to sell mine but nobody wants to pay bluebook value. LOL :D

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Gonna chime in here. If you maintain the car you drive, it will be a dependable car. Some people fail to do this simple task, so chose wisely. I am on my second NB, and both have been very reliable. With that said, I will second what was said earlier. I would never buy a older model with a automatic transmission. Just too much of a gamble. But if your wife will drive a stick, buy her the car she wants. We all know, all to well that ya gotta keep the Mrs happy. Cause if she ain't happy, we ain't happy. Take your time and find the right car. Never rush into a big financial decision.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
875 Posts
a couple of things: the car you get will vary greatly depending on the previous owner, I've seen cars with 50,000 miles that I wouldn't touch, while some with 200,000 miles are fabulous.

Convertibles don't seem to be driven for the same amount of miles as hard tops.

That said, I have an '05 2.0 automatic with 114,800 miles (bought at 7,800 miles) and an '06 tdi 5-speed with 112,500 miles (bought at 87,000 miles)... Do your research, drive an automatic for several miles until warm so that any transmission problem will hopefully show up, watch for longer shifts between gears with higher rpms (4,000+)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts