VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased my 2005 NB and wouldn't you know it has the hard-shift issue. Mine was thankfully under warranty, brought it in and waiting on the valve body to come in.

My question is for those of you that have gotten this fix...

Has it worked for you?

How long does it typically last?

I've read a few posts saying that they've gotten valve body replacements [whether on their own, out of warranty or in it] and that it craps out on them anyway and then they need a new transmission [and some people saying they've gone through multiple transmissions].

My personal concern is that it will be fixed for a little while and VW isn't caring about the subsequent transmission damage and if it busts, I'm out my only car. I'm thinking I might as well cut my losses and sell it as soon as it's out of shop, but wanting to hear your stories to see if it is worth it.

·
Widerstand ist mussig
2 Posts
Mine's an '04 and the trans ate its self at about 45k miles. The dealer replaced the whole thing. Two years later, at close to 70k, I'm not having any issues. But like everything else with these cars... only time will tell.:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm concerned for mine though since it's only a valve body replacement and I've read on several forums that it fixes it for a little while and then the hard shift problem comes back again and the dealership blames the transmission.

I just got mine out of the shop yesterday and it's running alright but I'm worried that it won't last. The dealership said the transmission looked fine but I'm not sure I should trust this. Heh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
trans replaced

I have an 05 that went at 64,000 miles. I had it looked at and fixed by an independent, since VW wanted way too much $$. The independent told me that if I was going to sell soon, then just the valve body, if not, there was gear damage and he would only warranty if the entire trans was replaced, which is what I had him do. A year and a half later and it's still running.

Make sure that f there are any issues after the valve body replace,that you bring it back for your records in the event the trans goes afterwards.

Service documents showing that I had brought it in for hard shifting while under warranty is what got me some of my hard earned money back in court a few months later.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts