VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 new beetle which I've had for just over a month. (Lifelong dream!) I took it in for a service and got a call that there's no point in going through with the service because it needs roughly £1000 worth of work including welding work for underbody rust. The car itself was £300 and a different one of the same models around £1300-1500 in my area, plus travel costs because I live on an island. I am wondering if its worth doing the welding, which they expect will at least get me through over a year to the next MOT, and coating the underbody in waxoyl, or whether I should take a chance on a different Beetle. I dont have much more than a grand to spend and I am wary of taking on a monthly payment for one of the newer Beetle models at the moment financially. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,272 Posts
What exactly is wrong with the car? I'm assuming holes in the floor? What work did you want to do? Do you have any photos of the issues they found?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly is wrong with the car? I'm assuming holes in the floor? What work did you want to do? Do you have any photos of the issues they found?
Thank you, Smileybug. I am waiting on a full list of the issues, but what I know is that there is a hole on the underbody which I will try to attach a photo of. I also understand that I need the brakes replaced, exhaust replaced, and parts for the fuel line and steering fluid line replaced. This doesn't surprise me too much given the age and price of the car, but I might have been thinking too much with my heart and not my mind when I bought it. I was also thinking that since it hadn't failed an MOT in a decade that it would probably be alright for this one.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts