NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Sit down and hold your shiznit!

VW gives you the Eco Racer

Wolfsburg / Tokyo, 19 October 2005 - At the Tokyo Motor Show Volkswagen are presenting a prototype that could well make history as the most economical sports car of its time. The two basic figures: 3.4 litres per 100 km (69.2 MPG) average consumption, and 230 kph top speed (143 mph). The name of the sports car: EcoRacer. Eco, because fuel consumption and emission are extremely low; Racer, because the dynamic potential of this mid-engined sports car is thoroughbred and fascinating.
read this my friends
Thanks to its carbon-fibre (CFP) bodywork, the EcoRacer weighs only 850 kilograms (1874 lbs) and accelerates to 100 kph (62 mph) in a mere 6.3 seconds, driven through the DSG double-clutch transmission. This sports car, powered by a newly developed 100-kW (134hp) turbo-diesel engine of the next generation, thus presents a forward-looking synthesis of austere economy and impressive performance. 230 kph, 6.3 seconds, 3.4 litres – vital statistics that are as unusual as they are fascinating! When driven with economy in mind, the car can even travel more than 1000 kilometres (621 miles) on one tank filling (30 litres or 8 gallons).

http://oneighturbo.com/?p=94

Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/brjeq

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Ha, you beat me to it! I created a news post here for posterity and pointed to this thread for discussion.

Now, about that car...

It's Volkswagen's answer to the Lotus Elise. To me, it looks a little funny, and to styling doesn't seem to take a page out of any Volkswagen playbook I'm aware of, but a car that hits 0-60 in 6.3 seconds while still getting 70 MPG is nothing short of astonishing. I presume this concept is the closer-to-production-ready offspring of the 200 MPG concept from a few years back?

Actually, I do see evolutions of a few design themes established in prior concepts, now that I look a bit more closely.

The funky tail lights aren't unlike the Concept T. The removable top's shape is dead-on for the Ragster, as is the dash-mounted rearview mirror. A lot of the pill shapes throughout the design have been used on VW concepts as far back as the Microbus.

Bring this sucker to production and they'll be able to sell it for basically whatever price they want. Wow.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
The front windshield retracts into the hood?!?

That's pretty dang cool. Somewhat useless... and not terribly cost effective (if they're really trying to make it cheap)... but cool nonetheless!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Oh wow oh wow oh wow! This is amazing... I want a sports car, but I want fuel efficient too. The Miata is disappointing in its mpg numbers. And I love the interior too - it is soooo reminiscent of MG's or Austin Healeys from the 60's and 70's. If it's under $40K, I would absolutely buy it.

Which is really saying something, since those who know me, know... I buy used and cheap only. :)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I do think this car could win over a lot of folks. The design looks "quite european" if you ask me, MG/Austin Healey of the 60s for sure. I dig it.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
:jawdrop: Oh wow! Nice color.

And, It's a Diesel!!!

·
Jetta go 'Getta
31 Posts
I'm glad to see VW is finally putting some nice high MPG, high performance and high-fun-factor Diesels together!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts