VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Beetle Convertible GLX, Royal Navy
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just pulled my Cabrio out of storage. Brand new battery, and she's almost back to normal. Except for the top. I noticed the "all windows" switch no longer works, and the top control switch does nothing. Does it sound like a door actuator issue?

The window always goes down a bit when I open the door, but occasionally does not go back up when the door is closed. I'm sure these are all related, but is there anything I can try before I go ripping apart the door panel and console (I bought an '06 console last year, so that's this year's install). Are these any fuses I can check?

If this a rehash of multiple threads on here related to that issue, my apologies. I couldn't really find a thread that has the exact problem I am experiencing.

If a door actuator replacement is required, does anyone have a good link to one? All of the links on here to them are dead.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
First: try the window/top reset procedure:

Baseline diagnostics, would be to start with a full auto scan; faults in the windows and top, will throw a trouble code. Scanning with a VW factory level scan tool; would be a typical first step, review this video for common faults and a bypass technique for failed top position sensors.

A hard reset of the ecu; can sometimes, restore a communication bus failure, remove +/- battery cables and touch them together, reinstall back on the battery.

This failure, bus comm failure, can be caused by a bad part or failed sensor; which will bring down the bus, a reset can clear the fault and bring the communication bus, back up momentarily, until the fault kicks on again. We have also, seen that unplugging and plugging back in; a failing window motor, will allow, things to work for awhile and then, stop working again, in that case, the motor was failing, window regulators were malfunctioning or there can be wiring harness problems, bad sensors, comfort control module, etc. etc. etc. All of these issues; will typically throw a vw factory trouble code, helping you narrow down the problem.

The above video, is shown; using VCDS by Ross Tech, an investment, that will save you money in the long run and typically pays for itself, in the first repair you do.

VCDS® HEX-V2® Enthusiast - USB Interface -

As for parts like window regulators; I would stick with genuine vw parts, for those and they can be purchased, from your local VW dealer parts dept, by your VIN #. If you need other more expensive parts; you could possibly, find them used but new is preferred, unless things are terribly expensive or "NLA", no longer available, some things, like modules, can be shipped out for a repair service, which can sometimes be more cost effective option.

www.parts.vw.com

Try the above reset procedures and report back your findings, beyond that, a full scan for trouble codes, could be the next diag procedure, to narrow down the cause of your problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Before I buy the VCDS tool, I'm going to rip apart the door and the center console this week to see if there's something electrical that I can fix. Maybe I didn't fully explain what happened, but here it goes...sometime during the winter my battery tender bit the dust and my battery died. The battery was beyond recovery, so I bought a replacement (Odyssey) and installed it.

Prior to the winter the top worked fine (and so did the master window switch). The problem seems to have occurred when I replaced the battery. One thing I did notice is that when I unlatch the top from the frame and the little symbol comes up showing the top is unlatched it flashes (it's not a solid icon). I don't know if that's a product of the LCD being old or if it means something, but there's that.

Before I get the door and console torn apart I'm also going to try what Billy mentioned in the previous post (remove cables, touch them together, reinstall). I also saw another post about running all the windows up and down a few times to help the car relearn them. But the post mentions using the master window switch which isn't working right now in my vert.

Is there a specific fuse for both the power top switch and the master window switch? The service manual doesn't really say and the owner's manual is completely useless.

On an unrelated note, is anyone interested in seeing a how-to on replacing the center console with a 2006 center console? If so, I will document the process while I do it.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Well, we typically see a number of settings; can be lost, when a battery goes dead, fails or is replaced (throttle body alignment, radio code, window, convertible top, comfort control module, etc, , etc).

The fact that your “master switch”, isn’t working, may negate the ability of the typical switch reset procedure; because the switch could be bad or may point to a greater related electrical harness issue. The switch could probably be checked with a multimeter or a vw scan tool; when using live data, could indicate if the ccm can see it working in open or closing modes.

Traditional electrical testing, can be done but with a vw scan tool, reading the comfort control module stored trouble codes and viewing live data, makes troubleshooting things, much easier. Being, able to“see”, what the computer controller in the car “sees”; really helps, intelligently work though the diagnosis process and removes allot of the typical guess work, we might struggle through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
To help understand the convertible top system; you might download the eRWin service manual and the Self Study Program:

Self Study Program 281 – The New Beetle Cabriolet

·
Registered
17,344 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IT'S FIXED!!!!! All I did was what Billy said to do in the first place (disconnect the battery, touch the terminals together, reinstall). I'm so happy I don't need to put out money to fix! Thank goodness for this forum, and especially Billy. :) :) :)

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Good work, always try the simple things first, before overthinking and tearing everything apart or throwing new parts at the problem!

So, did you fix the “master switch” problem?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good work, always try the simple things first, before overthinking and tearing everything apart or throwing new parts at the problem!

So, did you fix the “master switch” problem?

Yep...I guess the top issue affected the master window switch too. Once I reset everything it went back to normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts