VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come up with a fix for the left latch on the convertible yet. I have the same problem as everyone is going to have eventually. The left hand latch lever strips a little and you get just enough movement to have the latch not trigger the micro switch and so the comp. thinks the top is open and you get a nice reminder every time you come to a stop and take off again. I checked it out and it looks like VW in their infinite wisdom decided to mix a steel shaft and an aluminium arm. Just what every engineer goes to school to learn to design so a replacement will cost $500.00. I think i might come up with a fix since i have access to a water jet so i might come up with a repair kit to repair this problem. If there is enough interest.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
That sounds like a awesome idea; there are ALLOT of other plastic parts on these new beetles, that need to be IMPROVED and beefed up! One company that does allot of this sort of thing, is gruvenparts.com, check them out.

Meanwhile, keep us all informed about your parts/fix on the latch issue; if you need any other ideas on parts to make/sell, let us know! There are tons of things that would be great in machined metal! :) We are all sick of parts breaking! :mad:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts