NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought my wife a 2004 NB Convertible, yesterday! However, we are having a problem with the top. When we tested it at the dealer, it seemed to work fine. However, now when we attempt to open the top a few things are happening :-(

1) The convertible signal in the outside temperature gauge flashes. After looking at the manual apparently this means that there is a problem.

2) The top doesn't go all the way open. It will stop part way (I'd say about 80% of the way). Sometimes it stops operating entirely (this has happened twice) but if you wait 5 minutes it will work again. Looking at the manual, it appears that this means that the breaker has been tripped but then resets.

3) If you keep pushing the button you can get the stop to eventually go what appears to be all the way down. However, you never hear the "chime" telling you it is done opening. Also, the light in the outside temperature gauge keeps flashing and it will "beep" at you periodically when driving to let you know that either their is a problem or it doesn't think it is closed all the way (super annoying feature, btw!)

The top seems to close just fine. However, we have only once heard the "chime" telling us it was closed. However, when we close it the outside temperature gauge returns.

My guess is that is sensor for the top being completely open and that this is faulty. Does that sound right? My hope is that this is a common problem and that someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - I think this is the problem. My wife actually found the wings inside under where the top closed. We can now get the top closed all the way but it still stalls and you have to wait a few minutes and then can get it to go all the way down. I am going to try the trick in the video to see if it keeps us from have to wait.

One more question, though, the f171 switch costs $100.18 from the dealer. Is there any place I can buy it cheaper?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts