VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so frustrated! I have a 2004 Beetle Convert. When I unlatch the top, the status indicator window (where the temp is) doesn't change and I can't even get the car to acknowledge I've unlatched it. It's like it has no idea the top was unlatched. The windows still drop when I open the car doors and go back up when I lock it and everything, but it behaves as if the top is still locked. Can anyone tell me what this may be? I HATE the dealership here and would much rather go else where if it isn't a quick fix.

I've also tried the mater reset for the windows and nothing.

Thank you, I'm losing my mind!

·
Registered
762 Posts
You can try relearning the windows. Start engine and let idle. Roll the windows all the way up. Now on each power window switch, pull up for 3 seconds at a time, 3 times in a row. You can use that master window switch if you want.

The Roof Electronics will report how it sees the F202 switch. You might have a failed switch or wiring issue.

I suggest you watch this video, it goes into detail about top operation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWTrK8-BxpM

I'm in kangaroo country.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am so frustrated! I have a 2004 Beetle Convert. When I unlatch the top, the status indicator window (where the temp is) doesn't change and I can't even get the car to acknowledge I've unlatched it. It's like it has no idea the top was unlatched. The windows still drop when I open the car doors and go back up when I lock it and everything, but it behaves as if the top is still locked. Can anyone tell me what this may be? I HATE the dealership here and would much rather go else where if it isn't a quick fix.

I've also tried the mater reset for the windows and nothing.

Thank you, I'm losing my mind!

On the passenger side you will notice the opening in the windshield frame where the hook from top latches. Using your pinky, reach inward to the left and you will feel a little switch. This is responsible for activating the flaps which in turn allows the top to activate. With the top down this switch gets all sorts of road grime and will often mess up its function. Get some electrical parts cleaner from your local auto parts store and spray the switch to break the grime. You can use a Q-tip or other swab to fetch any of the big clumps and residue. Then get some dielectric grease (also at the parts store) and apply it to the switch to protect it from further fouling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts