NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and relatively new to a 2006 NB Convertible which was purchased used in May with only 24,000 miles. Today, we went to put the top down and got no response from the button. The windows "pop" so it seems like the latch switch is recognizing the signal. I didn't lower the top manually -- I just relatched and tried it again a couple of more times with the same result. Is there anything I can do before taking to the dealer next week?

Thanks
Tom H

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Tried the reset but it was to no avail. Enjoyed the other thread about modules, though -- all part of the education for a new to me car. I'm not having trouble with any windows or electrics that I'm aware of but this top issue could be the module. I had a Saturn (a rebadged Opel) that had a bad module that manifested itself when the rear defog wouldn't shut off and FOB wouldn't work. Anyway, sounds like a dealer issue so it will go next week. I came to NB ownership with eyes open and was aware of the potential for mechanical malidies so no whining from me. My car is a 5 spd and already has had a clutch, oxygen sensor and coil packs replaced by previous owner (I think the o2 and coil packs were recall/warranty items). Is there anything else I should be aware of/be on the look out for? My car's 20,000 mile service was done at a VW dealer so maintenance is up to date.
Thanks

Tom H

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Gotta' love a NB owner who "gets it"!

Stay on top of things, take care of them when they happen. Never ignore a CEL even if it goes off. OM Service Schedule to the letter. RaggTopp Cleaner and Protectant on the top. Good leather care and preservatives on the seats (the door panels are leatherette (vinyl) not leather. Top grade clear carnuba wax on the paint (I buy the $105/can variety) - www.autogeek.net for supplies, how-to's, product reviews etc. Castrol Edge 5w40 OR Mobil 1 0w40 for oil changes (don't let anyone convince you to do it with anything else, unless you go to like Royal Purple, still 5w or 0w40). ENJOY!

M.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for counsel

I appreciate the sound counsel on care for the NB. Though this car will be a year-round driver, it will get pampered with garage at night and while I'm at work. I did an oil change with 0w-40 Mobil 1 and VW filter a few weeks back. It wasn't the easiest car I've ever done but not the hardest, either. Of course, I just got a coupon from local VW dealer for a $49 oil and filter change yesterday -- about what I spent to do it myself! I ordered Ragg Top through ebay seller for less than autogeek price and I think I have some basic (at least compared to the primo stuff you have) carnuba wax (Mequires or Mothers) on the shelf awaiting a weekend before winter. I think my car's seller had it professionally detailed before listing it in April. Finish still smooth and shiny as a result. I'll post again after the trip to the dealer on the top issue. Many thanks for the counsel.

Tom H
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I appreciate the sound counsel on care for the NB. Though this car will be a year-round driver, it will get pampered with garage at night and while I'm at work. I did an oil change with 0w-40 Mobil 1 and VW filter a few weeks back. It wasn't the easiest car I've ever done but not the hardest, either. Of course, I just got a coupon from local VW dealer for a $49 oil and filter change yesterday -- about what I spent to do it myself! I ordered Ragg Top through ebay seller for less than autogeek price and I think I have some basic (at least compared to the primo stuff you have) carnuba wax (Mequires or Mothers) on the shelf awaiting a weekend before winter. I think my car's seller had it professionally detailed before listing it in April. Finish still smooth and shiny as a result. I'll post again after the trip to the dealer on the top issue. Many thanks for the counsel.

Tom H
Colorado Springs, CO
:bigthumb:, register on www.autogeek.net , they run specials, coupons, free shipping, regularly.

Colorado Springs, one of my favorite places, lived there back in the early '80's. Truly God's Country, but then you know! Can't think of a better place to own and drive an NBC! Used to take the kids and bike around Garden of the Gods, drove the Peak several times, but love the Cog trip.

M.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Switch

Update: local VW dealer diagnosed the problem as a bad switch (the one on the console). That's the good. At least it wasn't the module. The bad is that the switch will have to come from Fort Worth so back to the dealer in a couple of days. Price is $284 installed but, of course that includes the "free" fancy cup of coffee I got at the dealer this morning and the "free" shuttle to work.:)

Tom H
Colorado Springs, CO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts