NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 NB vert. It has 102500 mile son it and the top has been down about 30 times tops. This weekend my wife and I decided to put th etop down on the vert. I had the car running, in park, undid the latch, pushed it up just a little to clear the frame and hit the switch. We could hear the motor working. The little display by the clock went yelow and showed the top was in opeation. The motor made the noise liek always but the top did not move. I kepp the button on and heard the motor stop as in its cycle. So, I tried the reverse and the motor again made a noise but no top movement. The motor noise did not stay on as long and then went out. When I let go of the switch the light by the clock went out and went back to the temp.

I read on the forum about the electric reset. I tried that three times with no luck.

Any ideas or advice?

Wanting to go topless and can't!

Mark

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
If the hydraulic motor is running and sounds like it is going through a complete cycle, you might want to look behind the driver side panel in the trunk to see if there is any hydraulic fluid in the reservoir.
That could cause the motor to run and not lift the top due to no fluid.
If that is the case, you will need to troubleshoot and find where or how the fluid leaked out and repair the leak. If not, you'll probably have to get someone with VCDS to scan the top controller to find out what, if any, DTC codes are popping up to prevent the top from working.
Good luck on the fix :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check the fluid level tonight. I did last night look in the area on the drivers side rear that has the "T" handle in it. Is that suppose to be all the way in or all the way out or part way. Mine is loose, so not sure if in or out.

Also is the reservoir in the area with the "T" handle? There is a little black vented looking grill directly above the round access hole for the "T" handle. Is that where I look for the reservoir?

Thanks for the help.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
Not sure what "T" handle you are referring to but here's what you want to check. You might be referring to the speed nut that holds the rear tail lamp.
You will need to remove the soft panel on the driver's side of the trunk to access the pump and reservoir. The pump is mounted toward the front of the trunk and almost against the rear seat back frame.
Keep us posted on what you find or post up some pics so we can see what the potential problem might be.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just checked my fluid level. It looks just like yours at min level. The "T" handle that I am referring to is on your picture as well right by the 1/4" bolt head. (sorry don't do metric). Yours is at 12 and 6 o'clock position. Mine is at 3 and 9 o'clock position.

Looks like I am going to have to check the error codes next. BTW, my pump is by the drivers side rear tail light, just below and to the left of the trunk opening. My pump is behind a hard cover plastic panel. For me there is an access hole with a rubber cover (pops off) and then the view into the pump/reservoir.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Top will not go down

I have a 2006 beetle and had car detailed and now the top will not go down. I confronted the shop and as I thought they did nothing with the top. So what can you do lol. So I have tried to do the reset I have read on here with rolling windows up with master switch and turning off motor. That has not helped. So what it does is I relealse the top the Windows go down as normal but when I try to use the switch nothing happens. I don't hear motor do anything. What could be the issue? The top has been working great till now. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When mine did that someone suggested relearning the auto window function. Roll the front windows up and down three times to reset the auto up and down. Worked for mine.

·
got NB Toys?
509 Posts
Just checked my fluid level. It looks just like yours at min level. The "T" handle that I am referring to is on your picture as well right by the 1/4" bolt head. (sorry don't do metric). Yours is at 12 and 6 o'clock position. Mine is at 3 and 9 o'clock position.

Looks like I am going to have to check the error codes next. BTW, my pump is by the drivers side rear tail light, just below and to the left of the trunk opening. My pump is behind a hard cover plastic panel. For me there is an access hole with a rubber cover (pops off) and then the view into the pump/reservoir.

Mark
What is that little handle for??

Howie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Top wont work

mwarmann,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have this same issue. I was able to push up a bit higher on my top while hitting the button and the top slowly came down when it was already 3 quarters open with gravity and then chimed and cinched down. but wont come up at all with just the button. Essentially it is a manual top now. Pump is at minimum level fluid.

2005 convertible bee 1.8t

1 - 12 of 12 Posts