VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1999 2.0L GL manual transmission and replaced the driver’s side cv axle (my first time tearing apart a car). First of all, I am going to apologize for not knowing the correct names, I had to look up part names on the VW part site (may not be correct) Does anybody know the torque that is needed on the bolts for the cv axle, the nut for the wheel hub and the three bolts to reconnect to the control arm?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Ball joint 15 lbs + 90 degrees bottom 3 bolts
Ball joint top bolt...33 lbs
Front axle nut..follow manual procedure
Cv inner joints. M8 30lbs ...M10 59lbs
Tie rod outer...33lbs

The front axle nut should not be reused, hopefully the new axle included a new one. I put them on with my impact set as high as it will go. Or using a 1/2” breaker bar tighten it up and then set the car on the ground and tighten as much as you can with your arms, no need to stand on the bar.

M8 is used on the manual transmissions and M10 on the autos. Are your inner cv bolts triple square (xzn)? The autos I have seen are hex head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much!!!! I couldn't find the info any where. I was starting to think I was going to have to buy the bentley repair manual to find the info....but, I'm to the point that I just don't want to spend any more money on it since I just got it and have no idea how it runs (only ran it 20 miles, from where I got it) and whether it is worth sticking money into (it's really rusty underneath but only has 115,000 miles).

The inner cv bolts are triple square, not just everybody has it, but I found one (in a pack) at Autozone.
I'm going to get at it today and hopefully get the new skid plate on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts