VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I own a 2013 Beetle Turbo with a manual transmission and want to tow it 4 wheels down behind my motorhome. I do not want to use a dolly. Is anyone towing like this? Are there mechanical limits that would prevent this? I can get a tow plate from Blue OX that is made for the car. Seems to me you put it in neutral, put the key in the ignition to unlock the steering, and away you go.

Bill

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I would not recommend this at all. To much risk of internal damage. It's not worth it. Others may say otherwise? But I've seen severe damage done when towing cars/trucks and not pulling either the driveshaft for RWD, or using a proper tow dolly for front wheel drive cars.

S-

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Put the front wheels on a dolly. Even if in gear, it will roll on the back wheels.

Trust me on this. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not recommend this at all. To much risk of internal damage. It's not worth it. Others may say otherwise? But I've seen severe damage done when towing cars/trucks and not pulling either the driveshaft for RWD, or using a proper tow dolly for front wheel drive cars.

S-
Thanks fir the response but I'm looking for the "why" the damage would occur. Is there a pump or something that wouldn't operate while towing? Otherwise, it seems the tranny gears are stillturning in the same lubrication while driving.

Bill

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
While most of the damage will happen with automatic transmissions? If you have a tow bar in use--it's vital that the front wheels be exactly pointed forward, otherwise you will scuff the hell out of the tires and it will pull the cars suspension around in an unnatural fashion causing a lot of stress and premature wear. With most cars (even our Beetle) with the steering wheel locked? The front tires are either kicked a bit to the left or right--so this may be unavoidable.

And leaving the steering wheel unlocked to 'free'? One good pothole in the road and that's all she wrote for keeping it pointed exactly forward.

S-

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Check in your owner's manual. As long as that thing is in neutral,and the steering wheel is unlocked, you should be able to drag it from coast to coast! Just watch out the roads are bumpy in Arkansas! And welcome to the new beetle.org. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Oh, I forgot to tell you. When you come to Texas, try to make it during the spring or fall. Because summers down here are brutally hot! July, August, and September, there are usually over 90 days of 100 plus degrees weather. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Thanks for the response but I don't want the hassle of a tow dolly. Bill
Just wondering what hassles you are expecting? Why you are opposed to the dolly?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think tedybear summed up why it makes sense to use a dolly...personally I think it is stupid to pull a car behind you on all 4 wheels but that is my opinion...there is a reason you don't see tow companies moving vehicles that way...it makes more sense to use a full size trailer or dolly as not to damage your vehicle any more but hey its your car...heaven forbid it be a hassle to you...oh...if towing doesn't damage it the road debris and crap kicked up from the rear tires of the RV will do wonders for your paint job and enjoy replacing the tires that will be worn down...you might want to cover it but that might be a hassle as well

·
Registered
950 Posts
For the New Beetle (1998) the manual states that towing with the front wheels off the ground is the best method to avoid damage to your vehicle with a manual transmission. The primary concern seems to be body damage, but it also mentions that if you do tow it with all four on the ground that you should inspect the transmission to be certain the gear oil is good and not leaking.

For automatic transmissions it states that you MUST tow with front wheels off the ground or transmission damage will occur.

The dealership told us to only ever tow with all four off the ground.

For the manual transmission it states that towing speed should not exceed 50mph and distance should not exceed 50 miles if you tow with all four down.

I suspect that much of this is simply common sense and common to all cars. Towing with all four on the ground seems to be a bad idea, but with a manual transmission it is possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts