NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking into towing our 2001 VW Beetel manual Trans. Has anyone towed a similar VW with a tow bar? Manual states you can tow only a few miles. We phoned the VW dealership and was told that as long a transmission is in neutral there should be no problems. Still like to hear from someone who has towed a VW beetle. Thanks.

·
Mambo King
258 Posts
I've never towed any vehicle but I know ppl who have motor homes and if these are front wheel drive they rent a dolly and raise the vehicle "driving wheels" of the pavement therefore avoiding any issues w/ the tranny...see this link Towing Basics 101..good luck

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
The Beetle is front wheel drive. With the front wheels off the ground, it will be no problem. We towed my 2002 Turbo S behind a motorhome, and it was no problem!

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know if the laws are the same in Canada and the US, but I worked at an RV dealership back in the late 90's and I installed Blue Ox Towing Systems. Now if it was towed behind the RV with all 4 wheels on the ground the Odometer had to read the trip you take it on. Because in the DOT's eyes the car is still "Driving" and will have a false reading, and it is a crime to sell a car with a false reading. In a way it is stupid, but on the other hand...if the car says 100,000 Kms and you towed it over 60,000 in 10 yrs just think of the wear and tear it would have on most components.

"I'm a good car. I go where I'm towed ." :D:D:D

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
The Beetle is front wheel drive. With the front wheels off the ground, it will be no problem. We towed my 2002 Turbo S behind a motorhome, and it was no problem!

AWESOME MOTORHOME :bigthumb:

Your new beetle really makes it LOOK GOOD!

(I have a 24' Prowler travel trailer...I :heart: RVing!!)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Now you really can say you were "buggin' out." :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts