NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read some horror stories about people towing a vehicle with a tow dolly and when they make a turn, the car gets damaged by the tow dolly or torsion applied during a turn.

What is your take on this? Has anyone here done it? Specifically with a U-Haul tow dolly?

Also, I see that U-Haul offers insurance. For $10 I would be covered to the towed vehicle for up to $5000… that is more than I paid for the car.. Is it worth it if this type of damage happens? Or does U-Haul have several legal loopholes to get out of this?

I don’t have terribly far to go.. maybe 20 miles.. Just want to get it home safe so I can work on it.

Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,139 Posts
We towed my '99 down from MD to NC when I went to college (I had just gotten it and wasn't comfortable driving the manual that far yet). That was done with a tow dolly and we had no real issues. Biggest problem is that the dolly has its own swivel itself, so you have the point at the hitch but also at the dolly so it can make maneuvering tricky at times. We've also rented a trailer to tow the car. Much preferred having all 4 wheels off the road.

·
Registered
950 Posts
According to my manual the beetle is supposed to be towed with all four wheels up.

Uhaul rents flat bed trailers for towing an auto, so I would get one of those. Better to pay a bit more and have your car, than to pay $10 for the insurance and then get screwed over because you didn't tow with all four off the ground. That would be a pretty easy loophole for their claims guys to use to get out of paying you insurance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to my manual the beetle is supposed to be towed with all four wheels up.

Uhaul rents flat bed trailers for towing an auto, so I would get one of those. Better to pay a bit more and have your car, than to pay $10 for the insurance and then get screwed over because you didn't tow with all four off the ground. That would be a pretty easy loophole for their claims guys to use to get out of paying you insurance.
My problem is the car will not start. A dolly is easyer to load thant the car carrier. I have often used the car carrier.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Put it on the tow dolly and bring it home.
As stated above, some dolly's have a swivel that can make it almost impossible to back up.
It will do the job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts