NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I was pondering the idea of putting a trailer hitch on Pipi so she can tow either the motorcycle or the scooter (both possibly).

In the past, I would frown on such a practice for a small car, but since I can't afford to buy a truck/van, being able to use a small trailer my solve this problem.

The bike I would most likely tow is my 72 Triumph (about 500lbs) and the Vespa (about 400lbs) so a Class I receiver would probably be adequate.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
97 Posts
In my 2.0 manual, maximum payload is 390 kg (860 lbs).

It's probably more for the 1.8T, but make sure you don't exceed this spec too much if you don't want to damage your engine/transmission. Payload also includes everyone sitting in the car.

In your case, one bike or the other should be OK. Probably not both.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've taken mine over 1000 miles trouble free.
Got the Draw-Tite from eTrailers- 4" riser for the ball.
I have a 1.8T with an APR chip that had more than enough guts to stay ahead in the blue ridge mountains.
Also the bigger Audi TT brakes that really helped coming down the other side.
On an 85 degree day the oil temps rose from the usual 190 to 210~220.
To keep the overall weight low, went with an aluminum bike trailer at 375 pounds.
Photo Album
It carries a ZRX (550 lbs) and a C50 (600 lbs), and by design the trailer is balanced Exactly correct with the tongue weight less than 100.
Running coil overs, the hitch was just 2" off the ground, and the only time it hit was on a steep set of RR tracks.
I add that to take some weight out of the car I had removed the back seats, but quickly filled it with riding gear.
Had a blast with both the car and the bikes riding up around the Tail of the Dragon:
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.
Enjoy the ride !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts