NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
iceman_1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 2.5L Beetle. The Manual says "no towing trailers" or damage may be caused.

However, I see discussion about it (though I thought I'd start an updated Thread) and I've seen pictures of Beetles doing so.

The Little Guy Teardrop camper is less than 1,000 lbs, and Little Guy rates the Prius as the minimum car power needed.

So then what exactly is the problem with the New Beetle Coupe towing these lightweight campers? What is the damage that can be caused?

Thanks for any sound advice!

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I can't speak to actual damage. However I can't imagine how a hitch would be able to attach to the car. Having been under ours again for exhaust work, there's not a lot to work with for bolting a hitch to it.

S-

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
The hitch is not the problem.
The transmission is the issue here. A automatic trans will gain a lot of heat towing a trailer. And those units were not that stout anyway. I wouldn't even worry about it, if you have a manual transmission. But I wouldn't even think about it, with a automatic.

·
iceman_1
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have the 6-speed Automatic transmission equipped with Tiptronic to manually shift as an option. ...Not sure how much this differs from a conventional manual system..?

·
Registered
82 Posts
The hitch mounting is what bothers me. They use the trunk floor for many bolts and the tow eye, the early NB uses the two bolts on the muffler hanger the tow eye and the trunk floor. 1000lbs should be no problem. Try and keep the tongue weight to about 10-15% of the trailer weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts