NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chihuahua Whisperer
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2004 NB Convertible, 1.8L Turbo. I will be moving across country in the next few months. I am thinking it would be nice to be able to tow a small trailer. Anyone do this specifically via UHaul?

I did some searching here and found a few threads, but wondered if anyone did it with UHaul. On the website it said during the reservation process it would ask for car info, but it didn't do that for reserving a trailer. It also mentioned not allowing SUVs that do not have a hard top to pull UHaul equiptment, but nothing about passenger cars.

I do plan to contact UHaul, but just wondered if anyone here had done this.

Thanks!

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
I haven't with mine...but i have a hard top. I believe the tow capacity is 1000-1300lbs. I wouldn't think it would be a problem for the car, but U-Haul might think otherwise.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
758 Posts
Be sure you don't overload the trailer and/or car. Also, it would not hurt to have your automatic transmission fluid changed once you're done moving.

·
Chihuahua Whisperer
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be sure you don't overload the trailer and/or car. Also, it would not hurt to have your automatic transmission fluid changed once you're done moving.
Good idea.

I am not taking much stuff. Just boxes of personal effects/clothes, kitchen stuff, a few pictures. If I drove a large SUV it would all fit. No furniture or anything super heavy. My original plan was to ship my stuff, but this will make it easier.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sounds like a plan. If you don't have much to haul, I'd get the smallest enclosed trailer possible to minimize weight and aerodynamic drag. This will lessen the load on the engine and transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts