NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i think they just did a plug for this car on MAD TV. it's the toyota yaris. weird little bugger of a car, but me likey. it's cheap, too. about $12K perhaps? coming out spring of 2006.

Attachments

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
this is the first real example of the european "supermini" class i've seen jump the pond. it's the only one, too, that recieved the Euro NCAP (the european version of the IIHS) 5-Star safety rating. (NCAP stands for New Car Assessment Programme, btw.)

the yaris has been around in europe for a while. toyota rebuilt it for the 05 (i think) model year over there, and thats the one that we're getting here.

here, though, it's coming in both a hatch and regular-trunk version (which replaces the Echo.)

all said, it'll sell well over here.

(thank Car and Driver and TopGear magazines for my wealth of knowledge here.)

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
Dude I just saw it, a little red car with three dudes in it. seing it burn the tires impressed me. pretty cute ride.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
i guess toyota smartened up a bit and took the uglified americanized yaris' (scions) and made them the same as the rest of the world. go totyota.

Now VW needs to bring thier 60mpg supermini diesels over here.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
it's about damn time we get some cool euro cars!

i'm sick of "bigger is better."

out with trux and in with small cars!!!

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Actually the Echo was a Yaris aka Vitz under the skin but we never got he cool hatchback, instead they threw a trunk on the back. We also had to do with springs that were 40% softer and 20% taller. They totally botched that one.

The good news is that the 2 door Yaris hatch is coming here with the same suspension that the rest of the world gets and we even get to one up europe and Japan. We get the 1.5 liter that makes 40 more bhp then the 1.1 liter the rest of the world gets.

This should be one fun little car. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
larryziegler said:
The Honda Fit aka Jazz across the ocean, is also headed here this spring. It was introed at the Detroit Auto Show
Hey my neighbor has one of those :lol: his is light blue :)

The Yaris looks pretty cool.

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
When I was in Japan 11 years ago, these were running around everywhere. What is it? It's a Suzuki Cappuccino! A 2 seat retractable hard top convertible, smaller than the Miata, and goes like stink! That's what we need to have here in the states.:D

Attachments

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I actually test drove a Yaris Liftback today. :eek: It was kinda fun to drive (albeit an automatic). It definitely feels cheaper than the New Beetle. But I was more impressed than I thought I'd be. I'd really like to try one in a 5-speed. It's a zippy little car, but seems to have less power than a New Beetle.

I've been reading up on them lately and the average in-town MPG is about 32 - 35, which is pretty decent. They are considerably cheaper than a New Beetle (and it shows). But no option for a sunroof. :( That's a real bummer.

I dunno :dunno: I get bored of cars. I hate to admit it, but I think about getting rid of Curby every now and again. :(

Attachments

·
Your mileage may vary
7,566 Posts
Yaris doesn't do anything for me. The only car in it's class that has any appeal is Honda's Fit.

I tend to place the New Beetle in a class by itself.

Disclaimer: my thoughts are based either on sitting or driving the cars I talk about. In the case of the Yaris, I've also spoken with three owners whose comments ranged from "disappointing [for a Toyota]" to "it's [just] okay."

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alan From NYC said:
Yaris doesn't do anything for me. The only car in it's class that has any appeal is Honda's Fit.

I tend to place the New Beetle in a class by itself.

Disclaimer: my thoughts are based either on sitting or driving the cars I talk about. In the case of the Yaris, I've also spoken with three owners whose comments ranged from "disappointing [for a Toyota]" to "it's [just] okay."
The Honda fit looks fugly to me; looks like a little minivan. :lol:

I've been reading tons of reviews on the Yaris and most people seem to be quite happy with them. Happier than the reviews that auto companies give them. :confused:

You gotta keep in mind, the Yaris is bottom of the barrell for Toyota - it's their cheapest car.

And yes, the Beetle IS in a class of it's own. ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
:smack:

Erin! You need to attend a GTG, STAT!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dnyed said:
:smack:

Erin! You need to attend a GTG, STAT!
:lol:, I know, I know. Here's hoping the IL GTG pans out this summer.

I just need to get Curby clay-barred and cleaned up real good and I'll forgot all about getting another car. :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts