NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what experience everyone has with flushing and replacing the fluid in a 2.0 5 spd. I am looking to do a lot of maintanance stuff in the near future and figured I would start here since it is beginning to feel a little too notchy when shifting hard. I know the 5spd isn't anything crazy (not like the auto) but I was wondering if everyone sticks to the OEM fluid or if anyone has tried something different like redline or royal purple.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Not a 2.0, but a TDI with 5 speed. The fluid has been changed every 50K miles. Red Line MTL is what I have used with good results. Some other people have used the Penzoil synthetic oil, and Mobil 1 transmission oils with good results also.

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so if switching brand of fluid. Is there a proper method to flushing it out. Do you need to make sure all the original fluid is clear before adding the new fluids? Just askng since I know mobil 1 engine oil does not like to mix well with others, i didn't want to run into a similar problem with my trans.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
First there are two plugs to remove. One on the bottom, and one on the side.
Remove the bottom plug, and let the fluid drain. In the cold, it might take a while. Then just put back the plug, and fill until you get to the bottom of the hole in the side. Takes two litres.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
You have to lift the whole car so it is even...you can't put the front on jack stands and leave the back on the ground. If the car is uneven the drain and refill process will not be complete. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts