NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
transmission shifter adjustment. I replaced the gear select cable a couple of months ago, everything worked great till this morning. only gears i had was 1st,3rd and 5th. I thought is was just out of adjustment, easy fix. the more I "adjusted" the worse it got. Now I'm so lost i don't know where to start.
Does any one have any experence with the adjustents?
Thanks for your time

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks BUT i should have said mine is a 98 beetle 2.0 with a 5 speed 02J trans.
But it is an excellent video and i did write the company and ask if they had anything for the 02J trans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AND some more clues... the reverse light housing had a place worn thru and the balance weight felt loose, almost floppy. I think this is where the problem is

·
2.0L 5 Speed - MT
25 Posts
How-to works great

I just did this transmission adjustment today
using the How-To in the Org, on the 2nd try everything worked quite well, now my 2nd gear doesn't grind when I try to shift,
and the car feels tight, remembers me of those days when
I first drove it.

@FixAcft:
I read somewhere that some 98 New Beetles don't have the
standard MKIV transmission but rather the MKIII trans, unfortunately I don't have a link to offer.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
thanks BUT i should have said mine is a 98 beetle 2.0 with a 5 speed 02J trans.
But it is an excellent video and i did write the company and ask if they had anything for the 02J trans.
That WAS an 02J in the video. Can you post a picture of your shift linkage for me? Curious how yours differs.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
The 98-99 02J is the same transmission internally as the 2000+ 02J. It is the shift tower that goes into the transmission, the reverse switch, linkages and shifter in the car that are different. The 98-99 setups are kind of leftovers from the A3 cars. 99.5 Jetta/Golf also had the same shifter. The linkages and the shifter itself are poorly designed, weak, and prone to wear/breakage.

The 02J I bought for my 5 speed swap came from a 99, and I promptly swapped it out for the newer style for better reliability and the ability to install a DG short shifter. It is a very easy change, the hard part is finding the parts.

Pics are below to show the difference. Top two are 98-99 style, bottom pic is 2000+ style. On the middle pic, the black shift weight has been unbolted and removed. On the new style, the shift weight is one piece with the lever.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
The linkages and the shifter itself are poorly designed, weak, and prone to wear/breakage.

The 02J I bought for my 5 speed swap came from a 99, and I promptly swapped it out for the newer style for better reliability and the ability to install a DG short shifter. It is a very easy change, the hard part is finding the parts.
Broke my actuator today attempting to adjust the linkage. Do you mind digging out the info for the parts needed for your swap of adjusters/ linkage.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Think I figured mine out. It’s at first gen ‘98 2.0L 5speed. So... the clutch assembly is actually a MK3 I couldn’t fit how to lock weight or shifter, but I did adjust bolt I mistakenly unscrewed while trying to make room for a new slave cylinder. It’s the cable that make 1st and R ...symptom 1st gear was in R spot ...so up and down? Anyways I had screwed it back down with bolt all the way forward (to front of car). Kept looking and found frustrated post saying too much one way and lose 1, 2 or whatever. So I lossened bolt and slightly moved way from front of car, locked down and tried again and ‘whala ‘ reverse appears!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts