VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
[HOONIGAN]
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2001 2.0 5-speed gls beetle and I just blew up my transmission trying to hoon. I can't find any other beetles and was wondering if I could put a same-year jetta or golf trans in.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Any Mk4 transmission should fit fine in a New Beetle.

·
[HOONIGAN]
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I had a feeling it was possible but wasn't sure. I'm pretty sure its my trans. I went to take off in first then there was a loud clunk and i had no power to my wheels. i can even push the car while its off and in gear.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Any Mk4 transmission should fit fine in a New Beetle.
Any mk4 4-cyl trans will work. Don't get one from a VR6 as it won't bolt up.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Thank you so much! I had a feeling it was possible but wasn't sure. I'm pretty sure its my trans. I went to take off in first then there was a loud clunk and i had no power to my wheels. i can even push the car while its off and in gear.
Yikes that doesn't sound good, I would think it's the trans too.

Any mk4 4-cyl trans will work. Don't get one from a VR6 as it won't bolt up.
Hah yeah I didn't think about VR6 :eek:

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
These guys; seem to have great rebuilds, you might contact them and see what they have to offer. The rebuilds seem impressive; as they improve them and strengthen the weak areas, where they commonly fail.

Rebuilt VW 5 Speed Transmissions

·
[HOONIGAN]
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spent the day yesterday tinkering with what I could, and my passenger axle wobbles in the rubber boot that connects to the trans. The drivers side is solid and doesn't budge. I started it up and had it in neutral to check engine mounts and when I put my foot down, the speedometer jumped to 20 mph.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I spent the day yesterday tinkering with what I could, and my passenger axle wobbles in the rubber boot that connects to the trans. The drivers side is solid and doesn't budge. I started it up and had it in neutral to check engine mounts and when I put my foot down, the speedometer jumped to 20 mph.
Well, there's your problem! :banghead:

Sounds like the half shaft CV joint either broke, or it's not properly connected to the transmission. The good news is that should be much cheaper to fix than a broken transmission. Let us know how it goes. Sounds like you're on the right track though. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My buddy thought he blew his transmission once. Had the same symptoms you described and it turned out to just be busted axles.

·
[HOONIGAN]
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I got everything apart and gut the axle out. But it turns out I destroyed both cv joints and blew up my diff. The nut on the end that's in the diff backed itself off and got caught in there. So I bought a new axle and am going to pull a new trans from a scrap yard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts