NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 new beetle, and it will not shift into overdrive, im not sure where to start on it, if anyone has any info or tips that would help me out, thanks in advance

·
Registered
512 Posts
Valve body needs service. Is there any codes? If there's a code related to this then the valve body needs service. Possibly the OD solenoid or valve. You can take off the valve body and send it to somebody do rebuild.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Also if you have a laptop with a VAG-COM cable you can keep it hooked while driving the car. Better have an assistance watching the screen it will tell you which gear the transmission is at and the sensors data. You can determine what's happening with these data. I'm curious how do you determine it's not on OD? If you have the 4speed O1M then it's normal that you run at 60-65mph while engine is at 3000rpm. It's a little bit different than other models.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I have a 2000 new beetle, and it will not shift into overdrive, im not sure where to start on it, if anyone has any info or tips that would help me out, thanks in advance
What makes you think it isn't shifting properly? Is it shifting hard between gears? What are the RPM's at highway speeds? Have you changed the transmission fluid since you got the car?
Get it done! It may help. Cheaper than replacing the Valve body which the dealer will charge you a couple of grand for. You can probably get a new transmission on line for that kind of green. Or a used/rebuild valve body for a few hundred buck.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just bought the car a few days ago, it stands around 3000rpm at hwy speeds, ,no it dont shift hard,or slip,

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
My 2002 O1M runs about 3000 at 65-70 mph. I think yours is working normally..:)

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Well, it sounds normal to me. That is the right RPM range at Highway speeds.
Now go change that fluid. ;)
+1 to what Tom said.
Mine was icky (a very technical term:p) when they changed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts