VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2006 Beetle automatic about a year ago and I really like it. I had some issues when I first got it, where it would just lose all power while driving, only to come back a second or two later. I found out that was a bad fuel pump that was overheating and that's all fixed up.

Over the past couple of months, though, the transmission has felt 'bouncy' after the car has been driven for 10-15 minutes. It's great in the morning but once it warms up, the shifting has this bounce to it. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

I've also occasionally felt a hard downshift when going from 2nd to 1st.

One other issue, that I thought may be related. When I start the car, the P of the dash is highlight. I move the shifter to drive, the D lights up...for about 2 seconds. Then everything lights up. PNRDS are all highlighted. The Triptronic also didn't allow me to shift manually.

I took it to a shop and initially had the transmission fluid replaced, as I wanted to rule that out. While in the shop they suggested I needed to replace the Triptronic circuit, which they thought would fix the problem with the transmission bounce. I had them do it, for $500.

The bounce was not fixed but the dash now indicates correctly and displays what gear I'm in. I'm also able to manually shift the vehicle.

I took it back to them and they did some more tests and now think the cause of the bounce is from a loose transmission mount. They told me they also did something (I'm not sure what) and that the bounce is nearly gone. They told me to drive it and see what I thought before replacing the mount. Fortunately, this extra work was at no cost.

The bounce isn't gone but it does take longer for it to start happening. About 20-30 mins of driving now and it returns.

I've also noticed a couple times in the morning, when driving out of my parking lot, the transmission will slip out of gear when going into 2nd. I've also found over the past few days if I shift from Reverse to Drive, I have to wait a few seconds for it to pop into gear. Longer than I've ever experienced in any car. Once it warms up that weird slippage goes away but after awhile the bounce returns.

I'm considering having them replace the trans mount (I haven't looked if I can do it myself) but I'm starting to think that can't be the cause of all this. I've seen some other people talking about the valve body and I'm wondering if anyone has seen this similar problem and fixed it by replacing/reworking the valve body.

My biggest stress is that I'm running low on funds to fix this. I am glad the Triptronic is all working again, but after dropping $500 on that, replacing the valve body is going to suck me dry. Of course, if that fixes the car and makes it drive well again, I'm okay spending it. If it doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to be up a creek on doing any other repairs.

Any feedback, suggests, etc would be helpful. Is there anything I can suggest to the mechanic to confirm the valve body is the problem? I just want to be as sure as possible this fixes it and gives me my car back.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The problem is the valve body is worn out, this is an EXTREMELY common problem and any decent transmission shop should be WELL aware of this.

I assume this is a 6 speed Tiptronic, but the 4 speed automatics also had pretty much the same problem.

The warmer the transmission fluid the worse the shifting is. Problems with upshifting, but downshifting tends to be worse. 3-2 downshift tends to be the harshest. VW even extended the Warranty on some of these transmissions, however, most of the extended warranties have long expired.

Most transmission shops attempt to sell you a complete transmission rebuild which is VERY expensive, rarely done correctly and they often fail to get the valve body problem resolved.

Need to know exact what transmission you have and how many miles are on the car.

Also read these threads -

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmi...ilt-valve-body-replacement-my-experience.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmi...ansmission-issues-please-help-explain-me.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/60079-help-tiptronic-transmission-valve-body.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmi...ting-issues-vw-says-new-valve-body-trany.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/47455-tiptronic-auto-vw-extended-warranty.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I read through many of those threads after I posted my issue. My experiences sound exactly like what everyone else has also experienced so I'm planning on replacing the valve body next week.

My mechanic gave me a quote of $1400 but he's willing to let me order the part myself and will install it for $340. That should end up saving me about $500.

Thanks again for taking the time out to help!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
$340 installed is at least in the reasonable ball park.

It is not so hard to replaced, the hardest part is getting the small connectors off the solenoids without breaking things and also putting all the wiring and connectors back in the right location.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was tempted to do it myself but it was actually dealing with the transmission fluid that turned me off to taking on this job. I'm going out of town next week so I'm just going to leave with my mechanic and let them deal with the hassle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts