VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm getting ready to change my trans fluid (5 spd). I'm gonna borrow some jack stands from a buddy and hope to jump on this very soon. Out of curiosity, I tried to poke around a bit last night to see what was ahead of me. Keep in mind, the car was on the ground (not lifted in any way). I just wanted to try to figure out how hard it might me to get to the plugs. Wow. I couldn't see *%#$! Will I need to remove the skid plate? Perhaps the wheel/tire, wheelhouse liner? I figured this job was an hour or so, but that was assuming the plugs were accessible. Also, is it difficult to add the new fluid into the case. Can I just sqeeze the gear oil out of the bottle into the fill hole? Funnel from the top, somehow? Pump?

Thanks everyone!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
Yes, you'll need to take the skid plate off. But that's it. Its all pretty easy to access once the car is jacked up and the skid plate is off. Here is a how-to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNUvPB1CiY0

Lots of information out there on doing the change as well.

We've used a pump top thing to get the fluid into the transmission (think of like a soap bottle pump). My mechanic has one with a small hose on the end so that they don't have to have the bottle awkwardly close to things and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I've read that many times on this Forum. With that in mind, I went to my local auto parts store to pick up a couple quarts. I didn't see ANY GL4 rated products. They had one GL5 synthetic (75W90) which they really wanted to sell me. I asked the salesman if they had any GL4 products. He explained (or tried to) that any GL5 product can be substituted for GL4 products. Then, showed me the back label of the bottle, which I read (but didn't understand). I left the store empty-handed. Figured I'll try another vendor.

Thoughts?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
The factory VW stuff is something I've seen recommended. We use Redline MT90 in our cars.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Please do not put GL5 in there. Trust me on this. I work in materials engineering R&D for a very large motor and gearbox company. Our VW transmissions have "yellow metals" in them (brass, copper, bronze). GL5 will eat these metals. Please don't listen to the salesmen at a parts store.
The parts store will have PENNZOIL SYNCHROMESH. That you can use. It will make your transmission shift incredibly well. Millions of documented miles over at tdiclub on this fluid. I am shifting beautifully at 175k miles with it!
You can use VW OE Part Number: G070726A2 available at your dealer or online.
You can use Redline MT-90 or MTL.
Don't use anything from

1 - 7 of 7 Posts