NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5-speed. Every once in a while from a stop, as I am letting the clutch out I hear a clunk and feel a push from under the car, then the car goes, this all happens in a bout 1 second. If I did not drive the car everyday I would not be able to notice as it is not too noticable. I have vey little mechanical experience but it feels as tho the transmission is moving forward a tiny bit.

Other then this the car seems to run great......anybody have any idea? My warranty runs up in about 700 miles so I want to bring it to the deal but I want to have an idea of what is wrong because I know they will say "seems OK to us".......

·
Turbo Driver
12 Posts
I have the same thing from time to time.

When letting the clutch out, about 1 inch out, I would feel a slight "thump". Drove me nuts until I found out what was doing it!

Seems when the car wash cleaned my front floor mats, they broke off the little donuts that hold them on the floor posts. If the mats translate forward in getting in & out of the car, they bunch up high and under the clutch and are depressed by the clutch arm when you depress the clutch fully. When you start letting the clutch out, they spring back and you feel a slight "thump".

This problem is cured by reaching down and pulling the outboard corner of the floor mat as far aft as possible. Not the easiest thing to do while driving, at least for a fat guy. Putting the donuts back on helps tremendously, at least until the car wash pulls them off again.

This cured my thump - hope it clears yours.

Merry Christmas from Max, th Turbo S & the Wild Weasel (his Deddy):D .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that is a my problem, I will not let the car wash people vacuum my car for the reason you stated above, so as of now I all my floor mat posts are still in tact.....thanks for the input......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Find out quick…

I've broken the driver's side a few times, if you put too much force on a broken mount you will damage the "subframe" that it bolts to. Not proud of the way I broke them :eek:

Pull off the air cleaner box, you'll know real fast.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts