NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5-speed. Every once in a while from a stop, as I am letting the clutch out I hear a clunk and feel a push from under the car, then the car goes, this all happens in about 1 second. If I did not drive the car everyday I would not be able to notice as it is not too noticable. I have vey little mechanical experience but it feels as tho the transmission is moving forward a tiny bit.

Other then this the car seems to run great......anybody have any idea? My warranty runs up in about 700 miles so I want to bring it to the dealer but I want to have an idea of what is wrong because I know they will say "seems OK to us".......

I also posted in 1.8T before I saw this section, I am not sure how to delete or more a post.....

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I don't think this is actually a transmission problem. I THINK it sounds like you've got a bad motor mount.

motor/trans shifting and abruptly stopping [as if a bushing were missing] THEN providing forward thrust...

Yeah, I'd check the dogbone motor mount, then check the 2 side mounts. See if you can replicate the problem in your driveway. First in Neutral (free-reving?); then maybe in 1st. [to provide some resistance]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
now that you mention it, it may happen more often when I have to stop quickly. I have noticed in neutral that when I rev the motor, I do kinda feel a thrust from under the car, because of this I have always wondered about my motor mounts. What would be some other symptoms? Do you think it would be covered under warranty? if not how much to replace? I am not able to do the work myself as I do not have the tools or lift.....

What other problems will this cause if I do not get fixed? Is it effecting my performance?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I dunno anything about your car. What year, what's the current milage?

You shouldn't feel anything from under the car when you rev in neutral. Even if the motormounts broken you wouldn't really feel it (since being in neutral, it's not connected to the tires anymore; it'd just rock back and forth in the engine bay).

Being you don't have another car there to see what's normal, there's not really any other noticable symptoms I can think of. If the motor moves more than normal (whatever that is) then yeah. Sure it's covered under powertrain warranty. Cost can vary, but it can be pretty cheap if you want it to be. And it's something you could do with a socket set and a curb if it's the bottom mount. Otherwise you'd need a jack.

Yes it effects performance. And there's a handful of problems it could cause; everything from a minor inconveneance to a broken engine block. (well if 2 mounts fail it's a possiblity.) That's just not a very fair question. :)

So, park in a drivey/parking lot with room. Open the hood and watch the motor. Have someone blip the throttle a few times. Put it in gear and repeat (act like you're starting to move but just BARELY move). Try to apply how much torque you'd normally use while pulling off from a stop to fully recreate the problem.

Hopefully you should hear the clank and beable to locate it (front of the motor, back of motor, side of the motor, under the car, rear brakes).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I will try some of these, thanks for your input. My car is 2001.5 sport with 54K and it is stock. The sound seems to come from right behind or under the motor. Is there are way to visually see the lower motor mount? again thanks for your input

1 - 8 of 8 Posts