NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I just had the transmission fluid changed on my Beetle. Its a 2003 Turbo S 6 speed manual. I noticed that the next day the transmission fluid was leaking from the drain plug. Does the drain plug require to be replaced or can you simply buy a new o-ring? Also since my oil is gonna drain should I use the red-line MT-90 or OEM oil? I read many different opinions about this and im confused.:confused: Thanks.:D

·
5/23/10 <3
10,974 Posts
Is the plug nice and tight? No need to replace the plug itself unless its been stripped.

OEM or MT90 are fine. Its up to you really. I use MT90 in all of mine and my husband's cars. I'm happy with it, personally. But others don't really like it. Its a matter of preference.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi Guys I just had the transmission fluid changed on my Beetle. Its a 2003 Turbo S 6 speed manual. I noticed that the next day the transmission fluid was leaking from the drain plug. Does the drain plug require to be replaced or can you simply buy a new o-ring? Also since my oil is gonna drain should I use the red-line MT-90 or OEM oil? I read many different opinions about this and im confused.:confused: Thanks.:D
As Smileybug already suggested whoever changed the fluid may not have tightened the drain plug properly. Before wasting money on new fluid I would just try and tighten the drain plug just a little more.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
plug

you might want to put lock-tite I believe they make one that can handle the heat. It helps in keeping it from vebrating loose again. I don't believe there are torque values for that just hand tight/skill of the craft kinda thingy..LOL :D Good luck and welcome to the org group family.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
you might want to put lock-tite I believe they make one that can handle the heat. It helps in keeping it from vebrating loose again. I don't believe there are torque values for that just hand tight/skill of the craft kinda thingy..LOL :D Good luck and welcome to the org group family.
I don't know about locktite that plug gets pretty tight even with out that stuff. It should never be able to vibrate loose. Just try and give it another 1/4 turn to 1/2 a turn and see if it still leaks. Those things very rarely leak if tightened properly. If it does I would replace it.

OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

Here are some that range from $3.90 to $14.95 if you want to replace the OEM plug for a Magnetic one. They all will fit. (24X1.5 thread)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Thank you. I will check and try and tighten it a bit more. if its stripped I'll replace it or even use the lock tie.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know about locktite that plug gets pretty tight even with out that stuff. It should never be able to vibrate loose. Just try and give it another 1/4 turn to 1/2 a turn and see if it still leaks. Those things very rarely leak if tightened properly. If it does I would replace it.

OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

Here are some that range from $3.90 to $14.95 if you want to replace the OEM plug for a Magnetic one. They all will fit. (24X1.5 thread)
Just noticed the transmission sealing washer for 6 speeds on the ECS tuning page. Could that be causing this? Just a thought?:confused:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Just noticed the transmission sealing washer for 6 speeds on the ECS tuning page. Could that be causing this? Just a thought?:confused:
Good catch. That also means that you have the crappy 12 point triple square security drain plug which requires a special tool to tighten or to remove. Only VW/Euro type shops have that tool. Where did you get the fluid changed??
Back to your original question. It could be the cause of your leak if the bozos that changed your fluid didn't replace it.

BTW, the only plug that will work from ECS Tuning on your car is this one:
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Transmission Plug > ES#6167 Drain / Fill Plug, Transmission 24x1.5 - N90917801

and you need this tool to remove and put I back in place:
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Transmission Plug > ES#8234 M16 Drain Plug Socket, 1/2" Drive - SCW3357

I wonder if they didn't have the proper tool and messed up the plug and then replaced it with just a regular type plug. That would explain the leak since the 6 speed uses this new and not so improved plug with sealing washer. Hmm. I would call that shop up and ask some questions.

And if you do order this plug from ECS don't forget to order the washer along with it ;)
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--1.8T/Search/Transmission_Plug/ES7618/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good catch. That also means that you have the crappy 12 point triple square security drain plug which requires a special tool to tighten or to remove. Only VW/Euro type shops have that tool. Where did you get the fluid changed??
Back to your original question. It could be the cause of your leak if the bozos that changed your fluid didn't replace it.

BTW, the only plug that will work from ECS Tuning on your car is this one:
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Transmission Plug > ES#6167 Drain / Fill Plug, Transmission 24x1.5 - N90917801

and you need this tool to remove and put I back in place:
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Transmission Plug > ES#8234 M16 Drain Plug Socket, 1/2" Drive - SCW3357

I wonder if they didn't have the proper tool and messed up the plug and then replaced it with just a regular type plug. That would explain the leak since the 6 speed uses this new and not so improved plug with sealing washer. Hmm. I would call that shop up and ask some questions.

And if you do order this plug from ECS don't forget to order the washer along with it ;)
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Transmission Plug > ES#7618 Transmission Sealing Washer - Priced Each - N0438092
Thank you so much. I took it to a mom and pops shop that specialize in VW's. They been working on my cars a few years now but anythings possible. I will inspect it myself. Im starting to think that they didnt put the washer in.:/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts