NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post my experience with my transmission in case if is of use to others.

I have a 2000 TDI, 5 speed manual, that I purchased about 2 months ago with 115k miles. It ran great for several weeks, but then started to jump out of 5th gear. I took it to my mechanic (an independent who has a good reputation with German cars), and he told me that there was a Tech Bulletin out for this, and that the fix would probably be a simple adjustment.

However, the adjustment didn't fix the problem, so he opened up the transmission for an inspection. What he found was that the needle bearing and cage for the 5th gear was siezed, which had caused some of the helical gear teeth to break off (witnessed by me).

He (and I) spent a few days trying to find a replacement gear and bearing, but the cheapest we could find was approximately $1,000 for the part (which put the total repair bill at $1,700 with labor). At that price, my mechanic suggested, and I agreed, to install a salvage yard tranny with about 45,000 miles, which would be covered under the shop's standard repair warranty of 2yr/24k. Total cost - $2,400.

So far, so good, but I'm starting to wonder if I got a lemon, since I've also had to replace the driver door lock assembly, and am having problems with the wipers (see other post).

Cheers,

Russ

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Someone had a used manual trans on here for like $600 recently... I can't imagine why they'd charge you so much.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
TDIClub has 5th gears sets available for $250 in the classifieds.

not sure about the bearings etc, but Im sure you could get the part numbers you needed if you had only asked.
I am thinking you needed #9

1 - 4 of 4 Posts