VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BugYZer
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beetle went in today to have oil pan replaced. While I was there, I got curious about perhaps trading the bug for a Passat. Sooo, new car manager has a look at my bug while in the shop, comes back and offers $6k. I didn't think that was too bad for a 2000, 2.0, GLS, 75k miles, but I had just put $2k in for water pump and etc., plugs and wires, fuel filter, new back brakes, and slightly used turbo S suspension.

Big news however is that he says that I have "flaring" happening between 2nd and 3rd gear, which I guess perhaps means "new transmission". I always had this little "up-rev" right when it goes to change...took it in a long time ago, they said no problem. I had the ATF flushed last year, but the "up-rev" was still there. Now I suppose there is actually a name for the phenomenon...flaring. Has anyone else had this happen on an auto transmission?

I'm the original owner and it came with the 10/100 powertrain warranty? Has anyone had a transmission replaced under the powertrain warranty?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
ryan stokes said:
Beetle went in today to have oil pan replaced. While I was there, I got curious about perhaps trading the bug for a Passat. Sooo, new car manager has a look at my bug while in the shop, comes back and offers $6k. I didn't think that was too bad for a 2000, 2.0, GLS, 75k miles, but I had just put $2k in for water pump and etc., plugs and wires, fuel filter, new back brakes, and slightly used turbo S suspension.
$6K on a TRADE? That is ridiculous.. if its in good shape it should go for $8K-$9 to an individual -and the dealership should have more "wiggle room" since they can eat it on the markup of the new car.

I can't help you on the transmission issue - our 2000 has an occassional hard shift, but nothing like you describe. But I had to chime in on the $6K offer from the dealership... geez.

·
Registered
80 Posts
$6K???????? You think that's good??????
Listen to Porkchop...that's typical dealership robbery. They'd put it on their lot for $10K.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I'd go back to the dealer and te;; them you want the Kelly Blue book trade in value for your car, or no deal....(especially if the tranny is covered under warranty. I used the info you provided....a 2000 2.0GLS with "bare bones" options, i.e. Cassette player, air, etc...is $7200.....(using my zip code as a reference....the price might be different using yours...

My 1999 GLS with my options trade in value is $6535...Not bad considering I still owe $6K on it...lol

Check it yourself...put in the options you have on your car and you will see...
http://www.kbb.com/

·
BugYZer
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's ok, I'm not selling it and I'm not trading it in. Knowing what we all know about the car, if you were to buy it and I told you that you had to do water pump, suspension, wires/plugs (because none of this had been done since new), I think you might have offered only 6-7. But I have had all that done, so you might offer 8-9. Dealership sees it as ia can buy it for 6, and I can definately sell it at 8. If you start there, you try to get the other 2 (8 minus 6) out of the new car.

But for me, I just want to keep the bug. It has been good and I like driving it. I have some other cars, so I don't really have to do anything.

Anyhow...back to the transmission thing. It really has been doing it since I had it. I really don't want them messing with it if it is something that I don't need to worry about. Then again, a new transmission is not a bad deal either. I don't abuse the car, but the new suspension feels like it is ready to go if I want.

I really just was curious on you guys' take on the transmission...I probably should have left out the "trading it in" part. I figure if the dealership brought it up as an issue on the trade, then I probably have pretty strong ground to get a new transmission. But do I need to do it? Has anybody done it?? Under powertrain warranty???

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Your damn straight I'd push it in the powertrain warranty.

:)

After all, they FINALLY admitted to you there was a problem, right? I understand not wanting them to be tinkering in your car; but yeah, I'd come back to that guy and tell them to get the transmission replaced under warranty then. :)

It's worth a try anyway, but I'll bet once it gets to a tech they won't be able to replicate the problem again. :p Don't you love how some of these places "do business".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts