NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
h'ok, my car's going in for some work next 7-10 days and it's been recommended that i flush the transmission fluid. i have a 5-speed. here are the two quotes i've received:

local mechanic: $130
local VW dealership: $250 - $300

first of all, i am wondering if my local mechanic is missing something here. or, is VW trying to screw me? why the huge price difference?

all that aside, the VW shop actually told me my car has "lifetime" transmission fluid and does not recommend changing it unless there's some problem with my transmission. VW service said i didn't need to have it done. so, why would i want to have this done anyhow? i saw porkchop's thread on the old forums and it looks like the fluid gets pretty nasty after awhile. but, can i expect my car to run any better?

also, what's the diff between flushing and adding transmission fluid? i am guessing the cost, primarily. i called another mechanic and they said they can't flush my transmission fluid, but they can add, or "change".

as always, any help is appreciated here. if i don't need this done, i don't want to spend the money.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
flush... means hook up a machine in such a way that no air gets in. THAT's what you want to do.

To just drain and fill, can leave air-bubbles. (maybe I'm thinkin' coolant?)

So I hear.

Sometimes 'flush' also means flushing w/a detergent of somekind. ... I think.

I very well could have transmission flush and coolant flush mixed up if they don't mean the same thing. They "should" to me. :p

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am just so paranoid about my car. i plan on keeping it a long time and when you don't know much about this stuff, it's hard to trust anyone to do the work. i don't want to take curby to a VW dealership because i think they are more interested in $$$ than anything else, but it's hard taking him to a local mechanic because they might miss something when making a repair (like not putting the right transmission fluid in). i think it's impossible for a local mechanic to know how to work on all kinds of cars and i am finding out, my beetle is a little different in some ways.

it's so frustrating. :scared:

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Okay... when you drop the pan on an auto transmission you are only removing some of the fluid. The rest of the fluid is in the torque convertor and other parts of the transmission. When you car is running, the fluid is pumping through the transmission. So what a flush does, is move new, clean fluid throughout all parts of the transmission. That way, when done correctly, all of the fluid in the transmission is new, clean fluid.

However, this takes special tools that most shade tree mechanics (like me) don't have. So a compromise is to just drain the pan, remove the pan and replace the filter, then refill with fluid. This probably replaces something like 1/2 to 1/3 of the old fluid. This means as soon as you drive the car, you mix the new fluid with the old dirty fluid still left. So you have cleaner fluid.... but not clean fluid. If you do this maintenance regularly (every 30,000 miles or so) this is fine. If you do this once every 80,000 miles, it might not make much difference, although the new filter probably helps.

I just did the pan fluid change 5K ago and will do it again before the end of the year to get the fluid "cleaner". Why not do a flush? I don't trust anyone to touch my car. :)

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Porkchop said:
Why not do a flush? I don't trust anyone to touch my car. :)
fair enough! i don't know if the price i was quoted is for a flush or change. not sure. probably a change. we'll see. of course, i'll be reporting back with all info. thanks again justin!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
callisto9 said:
fair enough! i don't know if the price i was quoted is for a flush or change. not sure. probably a change. we'll see. of course, i'll be reporting back with all info. thanks again justin!
Well, when you're checking, here is what I paid for parts to just do a change of the fluid in the pan (and the filter):

Filter/gasket kit: $30
Pentosin fluid: $9/litre (used 3 litres)

So, figuring shipping, just a little over $60. Shop would probably charge 1 hour labor (around here, dealership is $92 per hour). So around $130 would be changing pan fluid only. I would hope the dealership quote is a flush - if not, they suck. :)

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Porkchop said:
Well, when you're checking, here is what I paid for parts to just do a change of the fluid in the pan (and the filter):

Filter/gasket kit: $30
Pentosin fluid: $9/litre (used 3 litres)

So, figuring shipping, just a little over $60. Shop would probably charge 1 hour labor (around here, dealership is $92 per hour). So around $130 would be changing pan fluid only. I would hope the dealership quote is a flush - if not, they suck. :)
can't i just rent you for a week? :D

i am going to talk to both my mechanic and the VW dealership this week so we'll see who feeds me the least BS.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wawalker said:
:confused:

Your vehicle info says that you have a "'01 silver GLS, 2.0, 5spd "--a manual, correct? Everyone is talking automatics here.:confused:

Even $130 is ridiculous if you do have a 5 speed manual. In a manual there is no filter or a pan. It's a simple drain and refill operation w/ a 75W90 synthetic gear oil which is far less expensive than Pentosin auto tranny fluid.
yes, i do have a 5-speed. i didn't know there was a difference between auto and manual when it came to flushing / changing the fluid.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Oops... yeah, I've been talking about automatic transmission. And I should know better - I KNOW you have a 5 speed. Sorry! Forget everything I've posted in this thread. :)

Which also means your dealership is a complete crook for trying to charge $300 to change oil in an manual tranny.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe i should call around for a few more quotes! there's no way i am paying anything over $200 for transmission fluid change / flush, but $130 might be fair.

anyway, i'll keep everyone posted when i do the work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts